Monday, October 31, 2011

The Aussie adventure continues (Cairns)

After some nice and relaxing days in Auckland I headed to the Airport ready to get back to Australia. I am still amazed of my adventures in New Zealand….
 





I arrived safe at the Cairns Airport where I took a shuttle to the city for just $12. When I arrived at my hostel around 10pm (Reef Backpackers) the reception was closed, luckily a girl just came around the corner and informed the manager, so I was able to check in quickly. I paid for a full week hoping to land a job during that time. Driving to the hostel made me realise that this is definitly the stereotypical aussie city, everyone walking around in shorts and flip flops, long hair and some even had a surf board under their arms (not so sure where they would surf though). This is the most active party city I have been to so far.

When I got into my dorm room all beds were messy and it didn’t look like one was available. I went back and the reception couldn’t figure out which bed was free. So he put me in an empty 6 bed room instead for the night. And I had free internet as well, so I just relaxed and was eager to start my job hunt.

The next morning I woke up fairly early and went first to a print shop to get my resume printed. This was followed by a quick tour through the small city and handing in my resumes in various cafes and restaurants. I was hoping I would get a call back quickly.

There was nothing else to do for me since I couldn’t do any activities until I have a job to pay for it. So I went back to the hostel and enjoyed some more free time. In between I changed room, no longer alone. Since it was Sunday I haven’t received any calls or emails regarding my application. I asked as well next door to work as a reception and they would give me a trial on Wednesday and start would be in 2 weeks, so far it sounds promising, even though I don’t have 2 weeks to find a job.








The following day was the day of changes. First I went to one of those placement agencies, desperate to get a job soon, I was even willing to pay the member ship fee of $90. They called me an hour later stating that they found a placement for me just 2h from Cairns.

While I was walking back to the office I received another call from a recruitment agency that my previous interview was successful and they found a job in Cloncurry for me. The description sounded awesome and I knew I would be able to save up loads of dollar to continue my travels, however, I had to commit for 3 months. After a quick call with the Motel manager they confirmed my job and I started planning the trip to Cloncurry ,to the outback of Australia.

The journey will take me 17 hours by bus and was quiet expensive, but the investment should be worth it.

I am a bit sad that I couldn’t see more of Cairns before leaving tonight, but I will make sure that I get to see the Great Barrier Reef before I leave. I am not sure if I have internet there yet, but be sure if I do I update you.

Let the adventure begin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment