Friday, November 11, 2011

The Australian outback life (Cloncurry)

After an very exhausting 17 hours bus drive from Cairns via Townsville I arrived in Cloncurry. The drive was amazing and I finally got to see the outback from its best site. I really enjoyed the trip even though I did sleep as well for a bit. I found it funny that most people from Townsville onwards where Australians and not backpackers. I would like to add at this point that Cairns was overrun with Germans, they were everywhere. Throughout my travels I met the odd one here and there, but the amount of Germans in Cairns really took me by surprise. 




I got picked up from the local petrol station by my new employer and I was really nervous because I had absolutely no idea what to expect. The details we discussed before I jumped on the bus weren't enough to give me a clear picture.

I was put for the night into one of the motel rooms but will move into the house share tomorrow to the other girls that work here. They invited me for dinner and I was hoping that I get some more details before I start my work tomorrow, but nothing was said. My work will start at 8 am on the dot with room cleaning and will be followed by a shift in the kitchen. I hope I am going to do well otherwise the whole trip is kind of pointless if they fire me too soon. Fingers cross I do well.

Now I am just sitting in my room with no internet and watch TV. With no phone reception as well I am cut off from the world; not getting any information if something happens at home and can’t even let everyone know that I arrived well or how my little adventure will work out. I hope that I get to explore the town a little bit more soon and maybe find somewhere to go for internet. Otherwise I will invest into a dongle this time, even tho I am not sure about Hotspots around here nor if I can get one out here.

I had never been in this kind of position and it feels really awkward since I am the only foreigner with heavy accent working here, everyone is native English speaker (UK etc.). I just hope for the best and I am dedicated to make this work. So far everyone seems really nice and I hope I can connect this time with a few people since I have to stay for at least 3 months.

Let’s go to bed and see what the next day will bring :)



 
HAPPY TRAVELS




No comments:

Post a Comment