Sunday, December 9, 2012

Welcome to Japan

I made it to Japan! So excited to be here, let the adventure begin!

The flight and transfer was not very spectacular. Doha has improved the service for the transfer. Last time I had to go through Security. Apparently they are working currently on a better option for international flights.

As mentioned in my previous post I still had to exchange money, of course I knew that I did not choose the best option (I tried, but my usual dealer was closed!). So I exchanged first some money at Waterloo Station for around 126 yen to the pound. The exchanged rate at the airport was 118! Total rip off. Once I got to Japan the exchange rate was 120.


As you can see the best deal is to exchange money at home before you fly. I only did that to prove a point :P

You can find the kids of today next to the plugs at the Doha Airport, which offers now free wifi.



I arrived at Narita Airport and the passport check took around 30 minutes. I first queued and then realised that you had to fill out the arrival card for the visa, so I had to quickly head back, get one, fill it out and queue again. You only get the declaration card on the plane towards Tokyo.

After I exit the baggage area I walked around a bit to find the ‘Mobal’ shop, where I pre-ordered my phone and sim card (no rental charge!). That went pretty smoothly.

This was followed by going underground as the Ticket Office on the first level had closed. The queue was massive, but the counter staff worked efficiently and didn’t take too long, however I wasn’t able to exchange my JR Railpass because my Train towards Tokyo was leaving in 5 minutes.  The NEX package is really worth it! One way or two way, depending on the time frame you stay is really to be recommended. The Suica is like the Oyster card in London and it makes things so much more convenient. Topping up is no problem as most vending machines have a description in English (Main stations).




At first I was scared after all the research I have done that it would be damn complicated when I get to Tokyo, but really, it was simple and easy. Most signs are in English, people at the Airport speak English and I had really no problem whatsoever to find my way around!


I was then on my way to meet my host for the next two nights. Yuta lives just off the Yamanote Line, very easy to reach and pretty simple.

To say it in a nicer way, he is living in a shoebox, however alone and the space is more than enough for himself. I slept on a futon for the night and soon I was in dream land, trying to get over the jetlag.

The next morning I got up and ready to meet some other couchsurfers to explore the City and there is SO much to see in Tokyo! I mean I really could describe it all in more details, but that would be just too much right now (yeah I just don’t feel like it). Anyway, since Tokyo is so big, everyone would follow their preference. If someone does have a question where certain locations are from the pictures, feel free to message :)

Shibuya Crossing

Shopping Center 109 in Shibuya



Powdered Green Tea in a Sushi Bar





















View from the Government Buildung

A 500 Yen Coffee


Harajuka







And the food is AMAZING!






One a side note, I bought myself a new Camera Canon 1100, which is really awesome for close ups, however not very great for shoot and point actions, so this means I will be bringing along my digital camera in the future as well.

Soon more from my visit to Kamakura :)

No comments:

Post a Comment