Friday, December 21, 2012

Mount Fuji all around me


The time has come that I reached the end of my trip. The train ride with three changes was very enjoyable and for the first time during my trip I have used the trains without a seat reservation from the beginning till the end. It was easy as I just jumped on the train and searched for a free seat in the unreserved seat parts. Once the ticket control came I showed my pass and said the destination and off they went.

Most of the time I was afraid that the unreserved seat areas would have been too crowded and with the seat reservation I usually secured myself a window seat, however it was actually the case that it was empty. Might have been just the route I took, I guess it would be busier on trains during the main season and from and to well-known areas.



In Otsuki I had to take the private Fujikyu railway which was not included in the JR Pass, but with 1.110 yen not too bad. It took around an hour from there to get to my final destination Kawaguchiko.


The breakfast I got from the Guesthouse in Tsumago

My lunch on the train, after all the walking I was dead hungry

Looks pretty old school to me


Once I arrived I saw for the first time the world famous Mt. Fuji and its hat of snow. It was a beauty to see.



Upon arrival I called the hostel as they offered free pick up service from the station and just 10 minutes later I was at my hostel. The K’House is really nice and the rooms are pretty big compared to the one in Tokyo. They had heaters in the room and overall it was very cosy.

I dropped off my bag, freshened up quickly and made a move to explore the area a bit and get dinner at one point.

I walked partly around the Lake Kawaguchiko and had some amazing views of the Mountain. I have to admit that besides the Onsen and Mountains there is not much to this little town.
















One my way back I kept a look out for some restaurants and didn’t have much choice. There was a café to my left, filled with locals and a Ramen place to my right, very empty. I decided to go for the Ramen place. Why? Because I was too shy as the café was mostly filled with male people.

The Ramen were delicious and I didn’t regret my choice.



Upon return in the hostel I quickly updated my blog and got ready for bed.

Early in the morning I got ready to see a different side of the Mt. Fuji. I had been told that the cable cars are open from 9 am onwards, however that statement was not true,  in fact they opened at 9:30, on the minute to be exact.










This is suppose to be the starting point for the trail? Might have been wrong


I bought a one way ticket, as I made the plan to walk down again after hiking up to the Mount Mitutouge. According to the plan it was a hike of around 170 minutes. After three hours of walking mostly uphill and passing a certain level I wasn’t sure if I would make it at all to the top. It always seemed around the next corner it was possible to get even higher. 








What does that mean? 




It goes down deep, had to make sure I concentrate and don't trip along the way



Which way?







There were no landmarks and I had to think about the fact that I need some energy for the tour back so after I had yet walked around another corner I decided it was finally enough and I turned around. I bet the top was maybe just another 10 minute walk or so, but I wouldn’t know nor will I ever find out now. But it was ok, the view wasn’t that spectacular most of the time anyway and walking downhill was by far more enjoyable. However I didn’t wanted to walk the same way back that I came and decided I make a little detour and walk back on the street and seemed like it didn't see a car in ages.





I ended up at the Fujikyu Highland Station, which is one stop away from Kawaguchiko and around 20 minute walk. I decided I make a quick stop at Fujisan and would then return to my hostel.



All in all I walked around 7 hours and probably around 12 k in total. By the time I got back I was totally exhausted and just wanted a hot bath but even for that I was too tired in the end and decided for a quick shower instead.

Traditional Udon noddles with tempura

Someone I know? Yeah the Bremer Stadtmusikanten, just the fat version of it


Tomorrow is my flight back and I am happy and sad at the same time. Sad because the time in Japan is over and I would have loved to see more of this beautiful country, happy because I will get to see my family and friends again.

Thank you for following my blog :) One journey has finished and a new one will begin. A Merry Christmas everyone and read you soon again.



3 comments:

  1. I like the peace sign you had in your photo. You're turning Japanese already. Haha. Merry Christmas, Nat! Enjoy the holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha would love to maybe live there for a while, would be really great, loved Japan and hope to be back one day, but made for the near future already some other plans. I keep you posted ;)

      Enjoy the holidays :D

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year! Be safe and have lotsa laughters. Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete