Thursday, December 20, 2012

Wanderlust in Nagoya – Magome – Tsumago

Why I had decided to go to those places in the first place I don’t know, but it seemed like a good idea. Nagoya was on the way to my next stop Tsumago anyway and didn’t seem to be a waste of time to check it out as well.
 
After a short train trip from Osaka I arrived in the main city of Mid-Japan and tried to orientate myself and find the way to my accommodation. This time I booked a Ryokan, a traditional Japanese Guesthouse including a hot bath (since I didn’t go to any real Onsen in Japan). It was a bit out of the way, but with help from a friendly Japanese woman I found it. She even wanted to go back to her office and check it online, I thanked her and declined, my map was more than sufficient. The Kyoya Ryokan is really nice and the staffs friendly; they even speak basic English.

The Ryokan was so far the most luxury I allowed myself on this trip. And this was only because they offered doorms for a cheap price. When I arrived I was alone in the room and made the happy dance.




I first wanted to go to the Nagoya Castle, but the entry was again around 600 yen, and since I had been already to two castles on my trip I gave it a miss and continued walking planless and without a goal around.





There are actually quite a few attractions to be seen aka Temples and Shrines, but I am a bit tired of all the temples and shrines which looks pretty much the same, just the history is different (History what?). So instead I ended up watching the sunset on top of the Nagoya TV Tower after I had a quick late lunch.










This was followed by another walk around and finishing at my hotel to take a hot bath and just have a relaxed evening to make sure I am fit for the next day.








After I returned from my quick sightseeing trip and unpacked (all my stuff was pretty much all over the floor) a Gentleman came into the room and I realised I had to share, but that was ok, because he was nice and in the end we looked at each other’s pictures. I have to admit, the iPads, iPhones etc. take really decent pictures. He even invited me to dinner but I declined since I had already eaten. He brought a coffee back instead lol I guess that is Japanese hospitality for you.


In the morning I got up and ready for my next trip to Nakatsugawa. From there I took a bus to Magome. The Bus Terminal is located to the left after exiting the station, Platform 3 for Magome (last stop).The Bus shows the destination in English. It takes around 25 minutes and 540 yen to get to the starting point for an awesome little hike to Tsumago.





Starting point in Magome







Bells were hanging along the way in case bears would appear! Excuse me, no one told me about bears!












Half way of the trail a man in a small house invited people for tea and some random fruits for a little break.



I hoped that there was no snow along the way anymore, and I was lucky and most of the way was free, just here and there some remaining snow. But even with that I did manage somehow to fall once, but there was no one to see it, so it didn’t happen.


I really enjoyed the walk and can only recommend it. Finally I arrived in Tsumago and started searching for my Guesthouse for the night. I love being in this secluded area.
















 
The Guesthouses (Inns) in Tsumago can only be booked via the Information center and usually they will sell you 2 meals included in the deal, however I declined that offer since I read on another blog that there is a small restaurant that offers little meals for around 600 yen. However the Information center will tell you otherwise. But beware that the shops only open until 5pm, so if you do want to eat after that you bring food either yourself or book the room with food (+2000 yen).















The walk was around 7.7 km and not a joke with luggage. Magome Information Center offers a forwarding service for luggage but I was too late for that. So I walked all the way with around 10kg (yeah that is traveling light for me!). If you do decide to walk this trail, make sure you start in Magome, it is easier, believe me.

I enjoyed a huge room, heat under the table, music, my laptop and the loneness while it lasts. Tomorrow I will continue to my final stop Mt. Fuji. Can’t believe that the time went by sooooo fast. In the beginning it all seemed so long to go and so many places to see.
 
The very next morning I got up pretty early in a freezing room as I switched off the aircon in the night, bad mistake.

After getting ready and getting some sweet treats for the Houselady I walked the short distance of 3km to the Nagiso Station and was waiting for the train that would bring me to Mount Fuji, my last stop on this journey.








I hope all my friends and family are well, I will see you soon again :) Oh and before I forget, a little shout out to my friend Nam, hope you are doing well in Australia ;)

HAPPY TRAVELS!

No comments:

Post a Comment