Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Kyoto – Temple, Temple and Manga

After a few hours of yet another train ride I arrived at the Kyoto station and headed to towards the local station where I would meet my next host.

As most of you know I only had great experience of people I met from Couchsurfing so far, so the time came that for the first time I felt really, and I mean really uncomfortable around my host. I don’t want to go too much into detail, because overall it wasn’t really that bad, but it certainly made my stay less enjoyable in Kyoto.
 
He lives around 35 minutes from the Kyoto station (Otsu) and is living with his parents. Those things usually I wouldn’t mind, they are part of couchsurfing, but he himself just didn’t have any manners, didn’t know a thing about how to behave and was rude to his parents. He didn’t understand that I don’t like constant handshakes and hugs and at one point his behaviour disgusted me. I certainly made clear that I want distance. I met other people and we didn’t bond, but that was mostly on activities event, not when I stayed with them.

After I have been showed the room I will sleep in I got bed ready.









The next morning I started my tour through Kyoto and bought for the day a bus pass, as I wanted to see a few shrines and temples along the way and it certainly is a good option. The Tourist Information center based in the Kyoto station offers maps and passes. You have the option to choose between a bus pass (500yen), a bus and subway pass (1,200 yen) and 2-3 day passes. The flat fare for any length of bus ride is 220 yen, so if you get off the bus more than 2 times the pass is already worth it.

Some kids were around the Kyoto Station and interviewing foreigners in English, very cute.






I decided to first visit the Golden Temple (Kinkakuji Temple) in the Kinkakuji Area. On the way to the temple I met two Brazilian guys (both living in London) who came to Japan for the football game for Corinthiana (not that I had a clue about that). We decided to join up and explore Kyoto together.














After the Golden Temple we walked to the Ryoanji Temple. This is when I realised that pretty much every single temple is asking for a minimum of 500 yen admission fee. Fairly expensive if you want to visit all the temples in Kyoto!






Next was the Myoshinin Temple to see the Gold Dragon gong, but again the admission for this time 600 yen so we let it be.





From there we headed towards the Nijo castle which unfortunately was closed already. Last entry is only permitted before 4 pm.

So we continued to the Manga Museum in town and had a walk around there.













We have been told in between that the Gion Area is certainly great for spotting Geisha (not Maikos) and having dinner. The Geishas however were pretty shy and didn’t want any pictures taken which was totally understandable.







As you can see I am not prepared at all in regards to local sightseeing attractions, which is probably one of the reasons I might miss out on a few things, but I really prefer these days not to have a plan.

We then had some dinner for which my host joined us. We then headed back to his house.









The very next day I got up early and started another day of exploring.

The Sagano Scenic Railway in the Arashiyama Area was first on my list and the Bamboo walk is just around the corner from there.















I then took the JR train to the Nijo Station and this time I was on time for the entry to the Castle and enjoyed a walk there.













From there I tried to get back to the Kyoto station and took the bus as for a walk it was too far away. I accidently took the wrong bus and drove into the opposite direction, upon realising this, I got up and paid and took the bus then into the right direction just to end up in the rush hour traffic and spend an hour to get to the Kyoto station anyway; a very enjoyable people watching experience.

Then I took another train to Inari to check out the Fushimi Inari Shrines (Red Gates). The area was pretty much empty as it was late already. On my way back to the station I enjoyed a Taiyaki again and something that was similar to a rise cracker, just bigger.

















Then it was time for dinner, my host had invited me to come along with him and his friends to a traditional Japanese restaurant that offers an all you can drink option for 3000 yen including food. Upon explaining to them that I don’t drink (not in my hosts presence anyway) I luckily was excluded from the drinking option and just enjoyed the meal. I had really low expectations in regards to his friends and I kind of expected they would be similar, but in fact they are pretty much the opposite and really a pleasant company. There are actually quite a few expats in Kyoto teaching English and one of his friends was one of them. Overall the evening was good, even though my host did argue in the end with the waitress about something I couldn’t understand, I guess it was the bill to be paid.

They then decided they wanted to go for another drink and I joined them a bit reluctant as I certainly was not in the mood for a drinking night. So after a while I told my host he can stay and I head home already and that I don’t mind. In the end he even arrived earlier home than me, simply because he took another way and I took the one I knew. Of course he didn’t tell me that there was an easier way to get to his place….








No need to be scared that your umbrella gets stolen


Now you might wonder why I stayed at this place besides the fact that I simply didn’t like him. I spend most of the time on my own in the city during the day and he was so kind and offered a bike so I can get from his house to the station instead of walking 30 minutes or taking the local tram. Also by the end of the day I was simply tired and went to bed. I did bring myself to help him learning a bit of German when he asked for it, but that’s all about I could and wanted to do.

I might have been rude on my part as well and should have been more appreciating towards him and maybe entertain him, but this is not what couchsurfing is about. It is a give and take and I am more than happy to help, cook, teach and share, but not if he doesn’t have any kind of respect. CS is all about meeting people and I rather prefer sleeping on a floor from a nice person, that sleeping in a mansion with a rude person. I was considering taking a hostel for the last 2 nights, but thought this might have been totally rude as well. This certainly was an experience I will not forget, and next time I will simply leave if it is not working out.

I then was on my way to Osaka and now wait for the time to come to meet my next host and write in the meantime my blog while sitting in a café and sipping a coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment