Tuesday, December 18, 2012

On top of the world in Takayama


Ok maybe not directly on top of the world, but at least from Takayama. I arrived after a smooth trip from Nagano in Takayama, a very small city in the mountainous Hida region of Gifu Prefecture.

My hostel ‘J-Hopper’ for the night was located just 5 minutes from the station and had a great atmosphere. The rooms were spacious, the bed comfy and roommates nice.

As I arrived fairly late most shops and restaurants were already closed, so I just nipped into one of the convenient stores and bought Ramen for dinner. Otherwise I just strolled a bit in the area and made plans for the next day. Upon return in the hostel I had a chance to do my laundry and updating my blog.

Looks dangerous

Empty shopping street


Ramen for dinner Yay



Early in the morning I tried to get up, but failed miserable. I stayed in bed longer than expected and then had to rush a bit to pack up again and make sure that I get to see the Matsukura Castle Ruins before I had to continue.

After I got a map from the hostel reception and some advice on what can be done I started my day.

At first I paid a visit to the local morning market, fairly small but what can you expect in such a small town. 

Yep, thats all you get

Bowls with fruits for trial



This was followed by a loooooong walk and a hike up to the ruins. Everything was covered in snow and it was pretty tiring to get up the hill to the top. I only met a few senior people along the way, otherwise I was alone and it was really refreshing. I let my thoughts go wild and just walked. It reminded me a fair bit of my time in the Blue Mountains in Australia and again how much I enjoy the walks. I have to admit I rather do those alone as I can keep my own speed and stop whenever I feel like it without considering fellow travelers.









When I finally managed to get up to the top it was AMAZING, the view awesome, the air fresh and I really hesitated to leave again after a short while sitting there and enjoying the view.








The walk down was by far easier and quicker and I made it on time back to the town center to pick up my bag and head to the station to be on my way to Kyoto. Before that I quickly made a stop at the local Post Office to send off the usual post cards. I hope they all arrive!







Lunch time

Yummy Gyooza


 Last night I really tried pretty much everything to get my new-old Sony Walkman to work but it just wouldn’t play the music or let me upload the songs. So I decided I would buy a new iPod when I am in Kyoto. I might give it to someone who knows more about this than I do, maybe they can get it to work.


See you soon in Kyoto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment