Monday, January 16, 2012

Hit the road Jack (Cloncurry - Alice Springs)

Finally the last day of my working period in Cloncurry arrived and I danced back to our house to start packing. Me and my co-worker planned for the night to celebrate my leaving and prepared a fantastic meal with a few drinks. It was a fun night, but the next morning was not so much fun. I received a call and got asked to work again for a few hours.
 







Grumpy I got up, made myself a coffee and got it done and over with. Upon return I finished my packing. The remaining time was spend on the internet until my manager picked me up and dropped me off at the busstop in Cloncurry. I could not stop smiling to leave the town.

As soon as my bag was stuffed into the bus I took my seat and let out a sign of relieve. The bus driver had a quick chat with me and told me his name was Jack, well I guess you can imagine my response.

It was time to reflect on the past few days. A friend of mine died while I was in Cloncurry, it came as a shock to me and I realised I am not only missing out on weddings or newborns, but death as well. Not having the chance to say good bye and have a last word puts your priorities in a different perspective. I will miss him deeply and my thoughts are with him.

The bus trip was more or less ok for me since I did it already once before. I arrived early in the morning in Alice Spring. Originally I planned to walk from the busstop, but surprisingly a car from the hostel was waiting for us. The welcome was really nice and the staff absolute friendly. Clean and cheap, that’s what you want from your accommodation. Oh and of course the free internet connection. Alice Lodge Backpackers is really to recommend.







Since we arrived early in morning we still had 2 hours till check in.  I decided to quickly explore the town center to see what I can do on my last day after my Uluru tour.




I knew already beforehand that Alice Spring is a very remote area and the culture is quite different to other places in Australia, but I am pretty sure that even those people know what a shower is; I wish they would use them. You seriously can smell them from 30 meters away. The town is pretty small and not much to do, but I am sure It will keep me occupied until my flight to Darwin in the afternoon.

I returned to the hostels with a few shoppings and got myself quickly check in and ready for an afternoon by the pool, well deserved. Even though I used the sunscreen every ten minutes I slightly got burned. Oh and the best thing of all the street the hostel is in has my name on it hihi






After a while I decided I was relaxed enough and got ready for my dinner. Since I am on holiday again I wanted to treat myself to some delicious food. I found a Chinese restaurant very quickly, because it was the only one that existed in this town and sat down in a total empty restaurant. Service was quick and efficient. The food was 50/50, since my entrĂ©e tasted like it was warmed up in a microwave.






I found out today that apparently a monkey is the perfect partner choice for me. Anyone got a monkey for me?


Full and happy I returned to my hostel and sat down on a table to start my blog. Somehow I ended up having several conversations with other backpackers and didn’t finish writing until late. But it so great to talk to people again and exchange stories, especially since my year here is nearly finished.

I have to get up early in the morning, so I get now ready for bed and will update you soon again.

To my family and friends, you are very much missed and I am happy to see all of you soon again.

Happy travels peeps :)
a

No comments:

Post a Comment