Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Hot hot hot (Alice Springs – Uluru)

After 5 hours sleep (self-inflicted) I got up and ready for my day trip to Uluru, to see the Ayers Rock in the middle of Central Australia. I have heard many stories about it and different opinions, so I was curious what I would think at the end of the day.

The bus came and luckily it wasn’t full, so the trip was quiet relaxed. We stopped a few times for a break and it took us around 5 hours to get to the first attraction, Mt Connor, the big toothbrush, as it was called by the guide.










We stopped at another rock, please don’t ask me for the name, I switched off listening to the tour guide after he bubbled continuously for 2 hours about random facts and stuff. I will look it up eventually (it was the olga or something like that)








We stopped at the cultural centre for some insight information about the aboriginal culture and their believes. No pictures were allowed to be taken inside.



We finally arrived at the Ayers Rock and had a quick walk around the base while the guide explained a few stories and history about this.

One thing I constantly was aware of was the heat. It was over 40 degrees celcius and luckily we had a working aircon on the bus. But while being outside I melted away. Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to wear black….










We enjoyed a barbeque during the sunset. You are supposed to see the changing colours of the rock while the sun is going down, but we were a bit unlucky since it was cloudy and the clouds covered the sun.







After finishing off the plate we cleaned up and jumped back on the bus for our trip back to Alice Springs. Such a long drive, we arrived around 1 am at our accommodation, a quick shower later I was asleep within seconds.

The next morning I got up and ready for a explorer day of Alice Springs before I got picked up for my flight to Darwin.

I visited the Anzac Hill, which had an amazing view from the top and the Reptile Center, which was totally worth their money.


















In between I took some Passport pictures for my visas in Asia and started packing up my stuff, a quick wash of my clothes and I was ready to continue my trip.

Overall I enjoyed my time in Alice Springs and Uluru, would I recommend the trip to others? Not sure since I didn’t feel the magic of the Rock nor did I enjoy the town of Alice in particular. I am happy I did it, but I wouldn’t do it again if it is not on the way. I guess everyone has different interest. At least I can say now: Been there, done that.

That’s it again for now and I keep you posted once I arrive in Darwin. Thanks to all the people I met here and who made this time a funny one, hope to see you soon again around the globe.

Until then and Happy Travels:D

2 comments:

  1. that's awfully carcinogenic looking hot dogs you got there. hope you scraped off the black bits :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope I didn't it was delicious anyway :)

    ReplyDelete