Thursday, January 19, 2012

The explorer (Darwin)

Cheerio folks. I am reporting from the land down under with some great news. I am having a fantastic time, but is it because of the country or because of the people? Of course because of the people.

After I left Alice Spring with the bus I arrived at the local airport, waiting for my flight to departure. After several flights with Jetstar, I was so confused about the service on board. I received free drinks and food. At first I was thinking I made a mistake with the time difference and the flight was actually 4 hours instead of 2, but nope, no change of timezone. I actually got food and drinks during a 2 hour flight. Hip hip hurray to Qantas and their sales offers.





I arrived in Darwin and the first thing I noticed was the difference in humidity. My hands were totally wet as soon as I left the plane. Coming from such a dry area, it was like being in a new country.

The Airport Shuttle brought me into town and the hostel was just across the street. I met my room mates (which checked out the next day) and started to look for something to eat for dinner. Just around the corner I found a Thai restaurant which served a lovely Thai Chicken Noodle soup. Overall I have to say that Darwin reminds me a lot of Asia, with the smell and humidity. After that I decided to head back for a good night sleep.



I woke up pretty early this morning and prepared for an explorer day since I haven’t had anything else planned, well at least nothing in particular.

I started out with a visit to the Lameroo Beach, a total waste land. Nothing you could really see from there and it looked abandoned as well. The Bicentannial Park was actually pretty nice, but just a 10 minute walk.
 
This was followed by a visit to the aquarium; however it was closed, so I might do that tomorrow instead.









I continued to walk down the streets and came across the St. Mary Cathedral, a really nice building.




I then decided it was time for breakfast. After buying the postcards for family and friends, I enjoyed a coffee and toast while writing the cards. I really hope all of them arrive…



This was followed by a visit to the Chinese Temple. I met the lovely owner and had a quick chat with him while he was preparing a few paper rolls for the upcoming Chinese New Year. He even invited me to a celebration on Saturday, but since I booked a tour on that day I had to decline. I was pretty sad about that, but nothing I could have changed.








I wanted to visit the Chinese Museum afterwards, but it is closed over the summer period, again, what a shame.This was followed by a visit to the Darwin Waterfront where I met some people from the hostel. We decided to continue together.









We wanted to visit the underground Oil tunnels, but again, it was closed. Seems like I am here at the wrong time of the year.


After we have seen a few other attractions we decided to hang out on the pool and just enjoy the evening.




Later on I had some absolutely great dinner at a great Vietnamese restaurant next door.


We spend the evening in a pub listening to live music. I decided around midnight that it was bed time and headed back to my room.



No idea what I am going to do tomorrow, but I am sure it will be fun, because I make it that way!

Read you again soon :) Happy Travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment