Wednesday, February 16, 2011

G’day mate. Welcome to Australia. (Melbourne)

After a few exhausting days I am now sitting in my room and listen to the rain outside. Time again for my blog me thinks. I arrived after an easy flight (though I couldn’t sleep) in Sydney and passed through immigration and customs. On my way to the next flight I quickly crabbed a coffee and a sandwich, oh my, was that expensive. I really have to look better out for my money from now on. Shame it isn’t as cheap as Thailand ;)
I finally arrived in Melbourne after a few hours. I was scared and not so sure anymore that I actually made the right decision. But it was a bit late now to change my plan. I took the skybus to the city centre where my hostel is located. After arrival the bus company offered free hotel transfer from the Southern Cross station, very comfortable.
I decided to stay in a dorm for a few days to save some money on accommodation. I really wished that there would be some girls in my room, but for my luck just guys. But all of them were nice and friendly.


As you might know I am a little bit addicted to the internet, I barely can live without it (WHO CAN these days?). The hostel offered internet for $10 a day. I actually did buy one pass to get access to job sites and further information. I had to ensure that most of my ‘to do’ list is done on the first day, hoping as well to land a job. I didn’t buy more after that one finished….and seeeee I am still alive ;) I found out that you can access free internet at the Federation Square here in Melbourne and there is as well a library nearby, but I haven’t been there yet.
I didn’t have to search long for a shop in which I could buy a sim card as 7-Eleven was next door. I bought some credit as well and just needed to activate the card. That was a bit more difficult but I managed it in the end. Now having already a number I proudly went back to the hostel to apply next for the Tax file number. Just to ensure I don’t pay too much tax when I start working.
After that was done I looked out for a bank. The Westpac bank was recommended to me, as it is very easy to open up a bank account as foreigner with them. Walked into the branch and had my account 15 minutes later. Unfortunately I have to pay a fee of $3 each month; I might change that when I am here a bit longer… It was really easy.
It was still early in the day and I just walked through the city and explored the area. I found a bit annoying that I kept seeing smiling couples with flowers and remembered that it was Valentine day. So I hope that everyone enjoyed the day and that the girls got loads of presents :)
Later in the evening I started to apply for jobs and searched for something available in the area. The restaurant I was dining in was actually looking for staff and I am more than welcome to bring my CV (resume) over. Because I wasn’t able to print them until now I kept searching for jobs online and would print them if I can’t find anything else.
Very early I realized that I nearly fall asleep and needed urgently the bed. So I think my first day in Australia was a success and I was very excited for the next day.
I didn’t really make a plan on what to do for the next day, but that was quickly solved when I talked to Cliff, one of the guys in my room. We decided to explore the city together on the Tourist bus, which is available for free. Starting at the Chinatown Precinct stop the first bus that came was too full and we could not get on it anymore. The bus normally drives every 30 minutes, which we were not willing to wait. So we stared to walk to the next point which was the Melbourne Museum and Carlton Garden. A very nice area.

So we kept on walking and decided very quickly that walking might be easier anyway. We headed towards the Lygon Street Precinct, the Italian district of Melbourne. We went for a quick coffee and moved on to the University of Melbourne.

The Queen Victoria Market was a buzzing place, loads of people. We shopped and browsed around and suddenly hear a guy blowing the… very interesting, but I think not really my kind of music ;)

At the Waterfront City we took a small break and found a little Greek restaurant. After reading the menu it was clear that we came on the perfect day, as they have super Tuesdays and half the food bill. We really enjoyed our meal and dessert. Such a great atmosphere and I suppose we were lucky with the weather.
Full with food and happy we walked back to the hostel. I continued my journey to St Kilda and really enjoyed the beach and sun. It is really great to have such a big city and the beach just minutes away. I know I am going to love Melbourne for that.
Later on we got ready for a night out. I really wasn’t prepared for such a night we had, but it was absolute fun.
First we went to the Jazz club at Bennetts Lane and were a bit surprised that they asked for $8 dollars entry. We decided to do it anyway and paid, got some drinks and sat down for some classy live music. Just half hour later the band announced the last song. That was absolute disappointing, if we would have known that we wouldn’t have paid for the entry. So we finished our drink and moved on. I actually wanted to tell the Lady that this was a bit unfair, but let it be and put it to my experience.
We moved on and searched for a bar that still had open. After a while we couldn’t find anything and decided to go for the rooftop bar. They actually open around 11 as they have an open air cinema beforehand on the rooftop.  I really liked this bar and will definitely go there again. We met two girls there and as soon as the bar closed we move some levels further down to another bar called kookoo. This was a good place as well and had open until three in the morning. We met there a few other people and enjoyed the evening. I actually planned to get back to the hostel after that, but was convinced to join the group for another club. I couldn’t resist, I do have to get to know the nightlife too.
After a short cab drive we got to a very posh wine bar. I was a bit surprised as they talked about a club, but I did go in there anyway. It was called the Supper club. I checked the prices and wanted to leave, absolute not within my budget. One of the guys invited me to stay for one glass, I accepted. But mind you, they ordered three bottles of wine. At the end I was relieved that one of them actually paid for it all. Great night though. And not to be repeated, I can tell you that.
Next day I woke up with a little hungover which I cured very quickly with a yummy English breakfast. I managed to arrange an interview for today and put on my suit to make a first good impression. I actually don’t want this job, it is door-to-door sales and I am still not convinced. But it is a job and might be better than waitress and additional to that I have not done that before. And one of the reasons for me being here IS to learn new things and make new experience. They called me a few hours after the interview and offered the position. I accepted and will start tomorrow with the training. I am curious how this is going to end. I could have taken as well a farming job, but I will do that later when I leave Melbourne and be more on the country site.
I think that’s pretty much is everything from the last few days. I am still very excited to be here and have the year still ahead of me and really hope for some great adventures.
And a big thank you to everyone for reading my blog, I am honoured that so many people around the world visit this site. And don’t be shy, add a comment, ask a question or make a joke, whatever you feel like.
Hope to read you very soon again :)

















Happy Travels :)


3 comments:

  1. Even if you are on the other side of the planet, everywhere is the same: Jazz is not cheap!
    Rock is better and often for free :-)

    Big Hug!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mind the price actually, but for just half hour it was too much and she could have said something....I think ;) But yeah next night, Rock is on the programme :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know which roof bar that is, love it, definitely one of my favourite places in Melbourne. Viel Spass noch!

    ReplyDelete