Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Halifax – The beginning, middle and end of a journey

Traveling is a journey that will never end, no matter what your destination, route or goal. Small journeys along the big journey called live will end eventually. 

I arrived in Halifax, my last stop in Canada after a 3 hour car trip. In the morning Nelson Shuttle came to pick us up at 6:45 am; it was a quick and pain free trip with a little nap in between.




Upon arrival I checked into the HI Hostel in the Barrington Street, one of the few Hostels in the area. So far I have really enjoyed the Maritimes and hope it will continue in Halifax. I didn’t plan anything for my stay here and hoped that something would come up eventually. And it did!






After a quick walk around, late breakfast, visiting the Pier 21 Museum and getting laundry sorted for the remaining days, I met up with Noah from Couchsurfing. 







Translation of the tag: Please always wear this tag visibly; it will fasten your immigration process. Large baggage items need to be checked in for the place written on your tag. Items up to 110 kilogramm are for free.







He drove me around a bit and we ended up playing a round of pool on the Navy Base. Because it was raining we didn’t feel like doing anything else and I called it a night and headed back to my hostel. I do have to say that the Public Garden looked beautiful and that I do believe it is a shame that I missed out on going there.




For the next day Noah and I planned a Road Trip around St. Margaret Bay with only a rough itinerary. 



We decided we would just wing it and we did. It was an absolute great day and I even got to see Peggy’s Cove, which I thought would be out of question as I didn’t feel like going on a tour for that. Another girl in the hostel told me that she paid 60$ Dollar for a day trip on which the highlight Peggy’s Cove is.












Noah even brought packed lunch for us and I didn’t have to worry about a thing, it was fantastic and certainly a relief that everything went so smoothly.
























We made some stops in between as well and visited places like a little house just off a picnic area. The owner allowed us to explore their little backyard.


I did ask the owner of the house for the name of this little cute thing, but forgot the name, something with Wood.....Let me know if you know ;)




Jumping around the Island



From there we were on our way back towards Halifax and stopped at the Memorial and Peggy's Cove



















Sometimes I try a little bit of editing, but this is as well a skill I still have to develop properly



A couple walking to the lighthouse, reflected in the water



Later in the evening I finished the day with a quick dinner and getting my things sorted for the next day, making sure I have everything I needed and checked into my flights.







I wasn’t sure if I would be up for another walk around before I had to leave as I didn’t really see much of Halifax the city itself. But in all honesty I couldn’t be bothered to squeeze in more things to see and instead slept in until I had to check out, had a usual Bagel and Coffee Breakfast and headed to the Bus stop 'Albemarle Street' and took the 320 Bus which would bring me to the Airport for just 3.25$.


Because I wanted to make the most out of this short two week trip I booked an evening flight back to London on Sunday to ensure I can be back in the office on Monday morning and not use another holiday. Now thinking about it I do believe it was the best decision as I would have needed to head back to Toronto a day earlier and would have missed out on all the great outdoors around Halifax.

I booked a flight with Westjet from Halifax to Toronto and had a 3 hour layover before the departure of my flight to London. The flight was actually pretty good with seat screens and free drinks. Because of Easyjet I am just not used to this service anymore. They did talk a bit much, but otherwise value for money when booked on time.

I know already that I will be super tired tomorrow and probably not in the best mood. I am indeed sad that the trip is over already and wish I could continue for a couple more months until I am tired of the road for a while again. Again, as I mentioned in several other blog entries, the short trips, be it a couple weeks or the weekends make it really difficult to settle and not to decide to leave for another year or so. There are a few things I would like to see happening in my life, but for those I need to make decisions, priorities. What do I really want first in my life, what should I work on next?

The same as after the Japan Trip I really would like to settle, but it seems that there is no reason for me to do this at the moment. Besides my family being in Europe, there is nothing that stops me from traveling. A partner of course would change this drastically and my priorities would shift. So instead of making once again a decision I can’t influence I will continue the way it is, I am comfortable like this and I really enjoy my life of Freedom.

Happy Travels and hopefully read you soon with another trip. I will head home to Germany next to visit Family and Friends and will then see what is going to be next on my agenda with countries I haven’t explored yet.

2 comments: