Sunday, June 16, 2013

Digby – Nova Scotia - Some sea air for thoughts

After a 3 hours boat ride I arrived at the Ferry Terminal of Digby in the Province Nova Scotia, a small landing with not much around. Based on the map it was around 4km to Digby Town and I had planned to ask someone on the Ferry if I could get a lift, but there were all kind of people; from a bus tour, bikers, couples etc. Basically I wasn’t sure who I could ask, instead I decided I would just walk the route which would have taken me around an hour to get to my hostel.






I started walking for around 5 minutes when I heard a ‘Meep meep’ behind me and an older Gentleman asked me: “Do ya wanna ride?” I said “sure, sounds great”. So I hopped into his car and we were on our way. During the short ten minute ride I found out that he was in his late sixties, traveling for 6 months from California and his next stop is Halifax. He was a funny fella and I enjoyed the ride. When I got off I said: “I hope you have a safe trip ahead of you. He responded: “That sounds so negative when you say you hope, like you wish for something to happen to me. Better say ‘Have a safe trip’.” And I learned again to be more positive in the way I express myself. How much I love meeting strangers on the road and learn from them, even if they accompany my life for such a short time their influence is massive.











Since he dropped me directly off at the Digpy Backpackers Inn I had no problems finding it. A warm welcome from Saskia at the reception made this cute little town even better. I dropped as usual my stuff off and had a wander around the town; a real fisherman’s village that comes with a homey feeling and not touristy at all. 






I really enjoyed the little walk around that was followed with a quick dinner at the Fundy Pub Restaurant, which is near the end of the main road. I can’t recommend it and decided that for the next day I would try a different restaurant.













Pan-Fried Scallops



A bit later I made myself comfortable in the living room of the hostel and enjoyed an early night sleep in a very comfortable bed.

For the next day I had a Whale Watching tour booked. Initially the tour was to leave directly from Digby, however they haven’t started the season yet which meant I had to look elsewhere. There were several operators in Tiverton down Digby Neck/Long Island so I went with one of them. I had been advised that if one doesn’t have enough people they just merge the groups to get the tour going. You have several options to get from Digby to Tiverton, usually there are some shuttles going that cost you around 20-30$ one way. Or you just hitchhike, people are very friendly and welcoming here and more than generous when it comes to hitchhiking.

At around 9 am the Mail man gave me a lift to Tiverton. It was easy since they just picked me up from the Hostel after calling them beforehand, so that wasn’t really hitchhiking.

Once I got there I had to wait around 2 hours for the Office to be opened, once they did, I got told that unfortunately they didn’t do any tours today since the weather is too bad, however Zodica Whale Watching might be going. At that point I still had hoped that I would be able to get to see whales today. Zodica WW told me that they would need more people to go and would wait for another hour to see if anyone is still coming. Around 2pm there was no sign of any other people so the tour didn’t take place. Today would have been my only chance to go out there, but it just wasn’t meant to be. 

Regardless of the cancelled tour I enjoyed my walk around the Island, it was very windy but because of the sun I didn't mind that at all and also the walking kept me warm. Then I slowly went back to the Ferry Landing and asked one of the waiting drivers if he would give me a lift back to Digby to which he happily agreed. The Ferry is running 24/7 every hour or later in the evening on demand. During the peak season the Ferry runs as soon as it is loaded, means you might have to wait only 10-15 minutes instead of an hour if you just missed it. On the way back we exchanged stories and I got the chance to find out more about the Canadian living in the Maritime. A pleasant journey overall.








Lighthouse at the beginning of Digby Neck/Long Island




I continued the day with some more walking and splashing out on dinner. In fact the dinner ended up being cheaper than the one from yesterday (including more tipp). I went to the Shoreline restaurant and because I bought some postcards in the gift shop I received a 10% off the bill. Food and service was great.


Lobster Sandwich

Scallops wrapped in Bacon

I slowly strolled back to the hostel and made myself comfy again in the living room and had a chat with the other travellers. One guy, Shawn, stood out and we shared our blogs, travel experiences and stories. He showed me a few tricks on the picture editing front which I didn’t yet get into due to an old netbook and lack of good software (hopefully this will change soon). Based on that I am more than happy to share his blog which I think is amazing that he is traveling around on a bike http://aworldspinning.com/. If you get a chance to read the ‘About me’ section do so, an entire story on its own.

This picture had been edited by Shawn and made a boring one into something wonderful


For the next day I had only getting into Halifax on my agenda. I had the option of hitchhiking in the rain, taking a bus that would take around 6 hours to get to Halifax with several changes or the shuttle for 60$ that would get me there in just under 3 hours. In the evening I had decided already that I would spend the money on the shuttle since I was getting lazy on the last leg of my trip.







Sweet dreams everyone and happy travels :)

No comments:

Post a Comment