Friday, November 11, 2011

The disconnected life (Cloncurry)

After a few days in Cloncurry I thought I put my emotions and thoughts again into my blog.

The work is really exhausting and I think I have never worked that hard in my life. I usually work in the morning 4 to 5 hours for Housekeeping and again as Kitchen Hand in the evening for 4 to 5 hours. My feets are aching and the heat doesn’t help at all to stay awake and work fast. I will work 7 days a week until January and I am looking forward to the end of the time, even tho it just started. So far I had no complains about my work and everyone seems happy with my doing. The work is so tiering that I sleep in between shifts. The positive aspect is of course the money but as well as that I start losing already weight :D

The other day I bought a new SIM card from Telstra so that I have at least a phone again in case I need to call someone since I am pretty much alone here and the good news is that I kept my old number. Everyone is going their own way after work which is totally understandable since they must be as tired as I am.
 
My housemate was so kind and let me use her internet for a while so I had at least a chance to update everyone that I am safe. That way I know as well there is mobile internet available. I tried first to use my new SIM card in my old dongle, but it wasn’t working which means I have to buy a new one if I really want to check emails and messages from time to time. I am not sure yet if I should invest the money or not, but knowing me I probably do it as soon as I have some money again on my account.
 


So far I have been only sleeping, reading and writing my blog, sometimes as well listening to music while sitting outside and watching the thunder, frogs and HUGE spiders passing me. I find the life here in the outback still amazing, everything is so different compared to the cities I have been to so far. The red ground seems very very dry, but as soon as I was walking over it I realised it was like walking in mud, very wet underneath.


I like to add at this point that I was a little bit disappointed in the support of my employer. The house I live in now isn’t really fitted with a lot of stuff, we have no washing machine and only one pan which is very sticky and only scrambled eggs can be made in it. The chef of the kitchen is living here as well and is a little pig, I try not to clean after him….at least the bathroom is only shared with another female. The supermarket is approximately a 15 minute walk away, but let me tell you that it is no fun to go shopping for water and other stuff since the heat and the aching feets are killing me each way. My employer is not willing to give us a bit of help since none of us have a car, at least that way we could buy a huge amount of water. I know that they don’t have to do it, but it would have been nice anyway.

So far so good, I am not regretting my decision to have gone in the outback, but I am sure I will be pretty sad when Christmas and New Year approaches. Thinking positive I know I will make it and enjoy my next holiday even more.

I guess that is enough for today and I should get to bed. Good night everyone out there, I hope some of you think about me from time to time :)

Happy Travels

No comments:

Post a Comment