Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A cultural weekend in Amsterdam

Time came around that another opportunity brought me again to Amsterdam. While the last visit had more of an reflective aspect, this time around the weekend was spend on the cultural aspects. Though I guess the more major difference on this trip was the fact that I was not alone. 

Basically two of my friends asked me if I want to tag along and enjoy the time there together. After a bit of thinking (it took around one minute unfortunately) I decided to join, throwing away my worries and plan to save up some money. I am still not taking this 'new' goal serious enough to make it happen straight away. There are still nibbling concerns that I should take a different route in life. But enough of the ramble, here is some insight of my second visit in Amsterdam.


The first difference I noticed was the price difference for the train fare from the airport to the city centre, a 10 cent more to now 4€ (or 2.56 %) compared to last year. Otherwise the journey was pretty much the same. I arrived early in the morning and after a bit of strolling around and waiting I met my two friends. After a quick lunch and catch up we made our way to our accommodation, this time in the Museum Plain area which is around a 40 minute walk from the central station. We took a bus and were quite pleased when we found the little apartment. We booked for three people and stayed two nights. A bit over my usual budget, but the value for the price was ok. Though we had to wait around 30 minutes for the key and the room was in the basement. But as I always say, it is the people that count to make a trip a good one.

After putting away our bags we walked towards the city centre on search for a coffee. Apparently one of the waiter at the cafe house in the middle of the Vondel Park is really cute and charming. I didn't get to see him myself but I take my friends word for it. Let me know if that is really the case if you stop by!




We talked about our plans for the next two days and bought some umbrellas on the way as it started to rain a bit too much.



 





During the time we were there the light festivals took place and you could see some really scurrile and fascinating arts hanging around.



Korekt (a local speciality) filled with creamed beef.

 
We did visit as well the Anne Frank House which for most seems to be mandatory since there was indeed a really long queue. You are not allowed to take pictures inside the house and yes, they  have cameras and people running around watching you!

 




"Quark Baellchen" .....
 is a traditional mini donut eaten in Germany (and in this case in Holland). The sweet sugared balls are fluffy and light. 
 
 What is Quark?
 Quark is a soft, fresh (non-aged) cheese. It is usually translated as curd cheese or cottage cheese. Quark has a fat content and texture similar to yoghurt and has no added salt. Quark is often used in baking and eaten as a health food, e.g. as a breakfast spread.  It also forms the basis of a large number of quark desserts.



 


 
Unfortunately we didn't go into the Museum since it was only one hour left until closing time and for 15 € not worth it, instead we continue with a walk around.


Me and my friends at the IAMSTERDAM Sign in front of the Rijk Museum




 
The evening was spend with quality time and cooking at the apartment. We did some shopping at the Albert Heijn (local supermarket) for a classy meal completely ignoring the fact that we didn't have an oven, but I think I made the best out of it because my friend did eat it!
 
The next day was started by bringing our luggage to the central train station into a locker to keep them save for later and to make sure we didn't have to carry everything around for the rest of the day. From there we continued to take a cruise ship which I avoided last time as I thought it is a overpriced tourist trap, even with some vouchers the price came to 13€ each. However overall I enjoyed the round trip and would recommend it. We got the vouchers from our apartment and I am sure any decent hotel in that city offers the same.




A parking house just for bikes!


We continued the day with a late lunch at the Pancake House. It was indeed very yummy.




 
As a final for the day we visited the Rembrandt House and Museum. This is certainly a must for everyone who likes his paintings and comes to Amsterdam (same goes for Van Gogh, but that will have to wait until next time)

 



Flower Market by night




While we were there at the beginning of January the Christmas market was still going

 


Happy Travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment