Saturday, February 8, 2014

Part 3 of the little parts of Germany - Bergedorf


It was on the last day of 2013 when me and my friends decided to stop by in Bergedorf, 20 minutes east from the city center Hamburg. Now the interesting thing about Bergedorf for me is the fact that I have grown up here. My home was a 15 minute bus drive away from this small city. This is the borough of Hamburg I spend most of my teenage years. Of course old memories surfaced when we started on taking a walk around, stopping for a coffee and passing all the places to which I hold various stories.



When you are young it seems your options are endless and looking back all the worries I carried around with me seem now so small and pointless. Oh how naive and full motivation I have been, directed by my heart rather than my mind. A lot of lessons learned and driving forward is what me got to where I am today.



But today, on the last day of the year, I just enjoyed the weather, the company of my friends and just simply my life. I don't get many of these days were everything is just the way it is and I couldn't care less, a typical scenario of leaving the reality for just a little while.



Bergedorf has many little hidden places, nice restaurants, cafes and a lot of great unique shops if you know where to look. There are several ones just next to the so called CCB (City Center Bergedorf). The mall has a huge constructional change in the past couple of years and doesn't look anything like 10 years ago. They moved the bus stop right next to the platforms instead of the high street and more brand shops have opened. There is another shop, one of my favorites near the east end of the shopping street, which goes right through the city.






But not only the shopping options should be on your agenda, draw a bit of attention as well to the historical background of this city and make sure to visit the castle (includes a museum) and the local art house.



If you are around Hamburg and have plenty of time, make a stop in Bergedorf. Certainly not the most important area I would recommend if you only have a short time, but if you have some time to spare, give it a shot and let me know what you think yourself.








Walking around the castle and its park I certainly would recommend spring and not the end of the year to do this.





















Of course I am writing this post in 2014, but still the memory of the last day in 2013 will stick with me for a long time I hope and I certainly hope you get to experience and maybe get visit by my own ghosts of the past.




This will be the last part of the little parts of Germany for a while. I hope to be able to visit my hometown soon again and will make sure to share the experience with you.


Happy travels everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment