Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Je pense donc je suis

 
But I have convinced myself that there is absolutely nothing in the world, no sky, no earth, no minds, no bodies. Does it now follow that I, too, do not exist? No. If I convinced myself of something [or thought anything at all], then I certainly existed. But there is a deceiver of supreme power and cunning who deliberately and constantly deceives me. In that case, I, too, undoubtedly exist, if he deceives me; and let him deceive me as much as he can, he will never bring it about that I am nothing, so long as I think that I am something. So, after considering everything very thoroughly, I must finally conclude that the proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind. (AT VII 25; CSM II 16–17)



A while back I have read the book 'The Great Philosophers: The Lives and Ideas of History's Greatest Thinkers' to get a better understanding on different values and way of thinking. I didn't plan to follow any philosophers described in the book or solely focus on one. Everyone has an own understanding on where values come from and what they are based on and why people break them, move on or away from them. It was a great read and influential in my day to day living.


This above will give you a better understand on where I am coming from next. I often get asked why are you so happy, so positive, so hyper, always fun? I could start a long story and why I am the way I am,  but it is pretty pointless because people have different values in their life, different things are important to them and they might just argue against it, which is not the point of my values (not to be confused with opinions on which you can debate).

But as a short version and to cut down to the base why I am so happy, I can only say: Because I want to be!

It wouldn't matter what happens around me, if I sleep rough on the street or go days without food. This all are short term circumstance I can change and wouldn't affect the fact that indeed I am happy and there is no other explanation for it. It just is the way I want it to be.

I have to thank my character traits for keeping me motivated, open minded and fun loving. But this doesn't have anything to do with why I am happy. I do believe that everyone can be happy, if they want to be. Of course I have bad days and not always everything goes the way I want it to be, but I can accept that and continue without fail.

The blog is not without reason named 'Freedom'. Long I have debated with myself what is freedom. One of my readers commented on one particular entry:

Freedom is the lack of obligations and responsibility, except for those of your choosing. It is the great feeling when your time is yours alone to command and nothing is constrained by money. You will always have this itch within you because you're chasing a dream. It's not a specific thing you want but the desire to keep chasing. You think that being on the move will prevent you from dwelling too much on the fact that you're still seeking


 And I do agree with the mentioned statement above, but overall I see freedom as a choice of living, the choice of being free to be who I am. And if I am, I am.

1 comment:

  1. I am happy therefore I am sounds like a great philosophy to have :) Happiness comes from the mind, body and soul. When all three are in harmony it gives this uplifting feeling on a persons spirit. Happiness is contagious, when someone acts happy it can have a positive effect on the people around. When you are smiling the whole World smiles with you :)

    ReplyDelete