Monday, September 24, 2012

Minimalism and being a Minimalist


At first when I heard the word minimalist I associated it with living from the bare necessities in life. Researching the term it gave me a slight different view, even though I know now where the term came from and how it is related to someone’s life in society.

min·i·mal·ist  (mn-m-lst)
n.
1. One who advocates a moderate or conservative approach, action, or policy, as in a political or governmental organization.
2. A practitioner of minimalism.
adj.
1. Of, relating to, characteristic of, or in the style of minimalism.
2. Being or providing a bare minimum of what is necessary.

min·i·mal·ism  (mn-m-lzm)
1. A school of abstract painting and sculpture that emphasizes extreme simplification of form, as by the use of basic shapes and monochromatic palettes of primary colors, objectivity, and anonymity of style. Also called ABC art, minimal art, reductivism, rejective art.
2. Use of the fewest and barest essentials or elements, as in the arts, literature, or design.
3. Music A school or mode of contemporary music marked by extreme simplification of rhythms, patterns, and harmonies, prolonged chordal or melodic repetitions, and often a trancelike effect.

Ever since I started moving around I realised that I have way too much baggage in my life. I have not spoken to many people about being a minimalist and what comes with it. Or if you even could call yourself a minimalist as long as you live of more than you actually require.

I believe there needs to be a balance. I still enjoy having certain materialistic components in my life and I wouldn’t want to give them up just to be a complete minimalist. I rather understand the concept of being a minimalist to ensure you unclutter your life on a regular basis and focus on the important things in your life which is family and friends (and travels!).

Of course traveling light is important to me and with each trip I am getting to the next level in mastering it and knowing what is important and what can I leave behind.

I found the following list an interesting read

Here is an example of a day in my life which showed me how far away I am actually of being a minimalist:
I got up in the morning and took the bus to work (I could walk) and bought myself a coffee (I could just stick with water) and went up to the office. Of course during work times I require certain components to do my job hence I leaving this part out. During lunch time I bought lunch (could have cooked it myself). After work was done I went home again by bus and enjoyed a quick dinner in front of the TV (part of entertainment which we could do without) before starting to make a cake (not required). This was followed by a quick chat with a friend via my phone (could have talked face to face) and some writing on my netbook.

Here is the outcome of the cake taken with a camera that belongs to my sister (not my own, but does that still count?)



So where do people draw the line on what is necessary and what is not required. In today’s society there are certain components you require to make sure you can hold up in this world, such a phone to make sure you can call your friends and family.

What would you be willing to give up to become a minimalist?



No comments:

Post a Comment