Saturday, February 4, 2012

The town with two faces (Sihanouk Ville)

After a ten hour bus trip from Siem Reap in a sleeper bus, which was actually quite comfortable, I arrived in Sihanouk Ville, a town famous for its beaches.

At first this town definitely didn’t leave a great impression. It is not because of the weather (rain) neither because of the people (very friendly), but more because it is worse than Thailand when it comes to walking along the beach and people try to sell you something or people running after you offering a Tuktuk.

Secondly the hotel I booked was directly next to a work construction in progress, and they do start working at 7:30 am, which means not much sleep to be expected. At first I thought I just switch to another hotel or guesthouse, but looking around, it seems the whole town is building currently something. So I just stay 2 nights instead of 3. Anyway, the staff was super friendly.





At first I arranged a driver to the Vietnamese Embassy to get my Visa sorted plus my bus to Phnom Penh and a tour for the next day since I don’t have anything else to do. Plus points for the Embassy, my Visa was sorted after 45$ (single entry) and 2 minutes waiting time YAY

I tried to convince my driver to bring me for some extra cash around to some kind of attraction but his English unfortunately wasn't good enough. I will just arrange something for later.

Since I couldn’t enjoy some relaxed days on the beach with no sun I thought a manicure and pedicure doesn’t sound too bad, offers were quickly found all around the beach.

The ladies offered a 6$ pedi and mani package, which I agreed to. Additional to that I asked for a foot scrub too, of course I was more than willing to pay for that extra, however after the ladies finished they suddenly asked for 25$ , which left me a bit shocked since we agreed a price. After debating with them in a calm and orderly manner that this is totally unfair and that I don’t even have that much money on me, they came down to 12$. I was disappointed and I guess I never will use any service on the beach ever again.




The kids on the beach that try to sell you bracelets and all kind of junk, try to get you to pinky finger swear that if you change your mind, you will come back to them. Funny that one of the girls made a black bracelet especially for me and gave it to me for free (super cute), of course the other girls immediately were angry because they thought I bought it off her. Such a drama, no need for that, I was happy when I left the beach.

I am here for just 6 hours and wish I could leave already today, maybe such tourist towns don’t do it anymore for me, but I just wanted some nice and relaxing days.

I only had some dinner in the evening at the beach and that was pretty much my first day here.

The next day arrived and I hoped for a good day, which in the end I had. The weather was giving us some sun today and I was going to visit three Islands (15$ incl. lunch). I got picked up from the hotel and brought to the Pier where a huge boat was waiting for us. Some of the other girls complained that they rather had a small boat; I just thought at least we have plenty of space. And later I was allowed to jump off the second deck into the water which was fun.








All in all the trip was great and relaxing, we got to see nice beaches, which by the way I would recommend staying there overnight if you are looking for some more relaxed and quiet beaches.












Upon return I arranged a driver to bring me up to the Sihanouk Ville Mountain where I wanted to watch the Sunset. Funny that the reception neither the drive knew what I was talking about, in the end I showed them the place on the map and they accepted to bring me up there and back.

From up there the city looked amazing and the sunset was gorgeous, I was glad to have seen it, otherwise this would have been a city I definitely would not return to.








Overall if you are looking for party and drinking all night, the main beaches are your place to be, if you are looking for some relaxed days, the Island, Mountains and Otres Beach is to recommend.





Now I am off to the next big city Phnom Penh. With a few ideas on my mind I hope I have some more fun days over there.

Until then and happy travels :)

No comments:

Post a Comment