Sunday, February 12, 2012

Good morning Viet Nam (Ho Chi Minh City and Nha Trang)

Safe and sound I arrived after an 6 hour bus journey in Ho Chi Minh City. The border crossing was easy and quick.




The first thing I’ve done upon arrival was organising a Sim card to call a friend of a friend with whom I would stay in HCMC. He and his family were so kind to invite me.

Taxis were waiting on every corner to con the tourists. Ok maybe I was just unlucky taking the wrong kind of taxi. He said he knew the address and of course I believed him. In the end he didn’t knew it and had to ask another taxi driver on the way, after calling several time my friend Trung, to find the way. I had to switch the cab, of course paying the first driver the full amount of 200.000 dong. The second driver dropped me off at the correct address but I run out of dong by that time. Trung was so kind and paid. Of course I made sure he got his money back the very next day.

We enjoyed together a lovely dinner and had something similar to larva worms, at first I wasn’t sure, but they were delicious. I have to admit I totally fell in love with his son, so cute and adorable. I wish I could have taken him with me. Soon it was bed time and I made myself comfortable in the bed provided.

The next morning I took the local bus for 5.000 dong back into the city to go on a city explorer day. Funnily I met an old friend of mine during my trip and together we enjoyed some lunch before I headed back with the local bus. I think this bus irde was by far my funniest experience. Everyone was so nice and some guys on the bus started to talk to me about life and what the reasons are that I am in Vietnam. They assumed I live here since I took the local bus, ahhhh I wish that would be the case.


















In the evening I was invited to take part in the birthday celebration of Trungs son and enjoyed some cake, fruits and tea. I am glad I got to experience such an intimate family experience :)





For the following day I booked a tour to the Chu Chi Tunnels and a Temple, of which I totally forgot the name.



















On my way back to Trungs house with the local bus, I experienced this time a few little school girls and women trying to practice their English with me, it was very very cute.

Since I haven’t had proper beach days yet during the holidays I decided to head next to Nha Trang, one of the main beaches in Vietnam. This time I took a sleeper bus during the day to see what effect it would have on me.

The scenery during the day was stunning and I saw thousands and thousands of rice fields with mountains in the background and little village’s in between, a great experience.




In the evening I only walked around the area and had some food. This was followed by an early night, I felt a cold coming up and my throat started to get itchy.





In the morning I really wanted to have a day on which I don’t do anything, absolutely nothing, just sitting at the beach and let life be life; shame only that the clouds decided to ruin a nearly perfect day for me. The waves and currents were so strong it was nearly impossible for me to swim. I gave up after a few minutes and nearly losing my bikini. Probably a nice view for the people on the beach….Besides that I thought the ocean was quiet dirty, didn't really enjoyed swimming between the rubbish, maybe I just picked the wrong spot.




And as I thought; the cold had me by the time the sun went down, I felt weak and started to cough…so I bought my favourite sweets, loads of honey, tea and tissues and put myself into bed while watching movies; hoping the next day it would be better.

I woke up and my whole body ached but luckily the cold seemed to have been only a 24 h thing and after a few paracetamol I felt much better and started my day with walking to the Long Soon Pagoda and the Giant seated Buddah for some sightseeing. I did try to bargain with a few motorbike driver but they were ridiculous with their prices on over 300.000 dong. So I walked all the way back and decided that after all that walking I totally was entitled to a Pedicure.















THIS was THE most painful pedicure I experienced in my whole life. I totally understand that the little girl needed to make experience, but did it have to be me? Well she did apologise several times and looked like she was truly sorry, so everything was forgiven and forgotten when she was done. I guess she will learn from it.



Now I am just waiting for the bus to Da Nang, trying one last time for some nice beach time and then I am flying to Hanoi. After all the busses I thought I take a short route this time.

Well I guess I update you again after Hanoi when I am on my way to Laos (definitly not looking forward to that bus trip over the border.)

Happy travels :)

No comments:

Post a Comment