Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Tork Tork Penh Bampong (Siem Reap - Cambodia)

Step by step, a Khmer saying that teaches you to start small to reach big and that is something I definitely live by.

I arrived after just a 2 hours flight in Siem Reap Cambodia Airport. As an EU citizen I was eligible for the visa on arrival and the process was quick and easy. In case you do forget to take passport pictures with you, they scan your passport for an extra cost. 10 minutes and 20$ later I had my passport back and headed to the exit.

Outside you have the choice to take a Moto (2$) a Remork Moto (Tuktuk 5$) or a car (7$). I took the second option and was on my way to my accommodation, a little Guesthouse near Bo Wat Village, a 10 minute walk to the Siem Reap Night market (main hub for activities and food). The Home Sweet Home Guesthouse was very welcoming and let me check in already, even though my room wasn’t made up at that point. Since I got up so early in the morning I was tired, but still motivated to explore the area.




I just started walking without a map or a plan, just walking down the street. I kept walking until I reached the Lun Market, a traditional local market where I didn’t see any other tourist. I did feel like an alien walking into the alley, but I just wanted to see it. But because everyone was staring at me I didn’t take a lot of pictures, I didn’t want to appear ignorant towards the people. In those situations I just think how I feel like when random people asking me to take a picture of me, it feels so weird, and I bet it is similar for them.






Cambodia gave me a first impression as a beautiful country with friendly people. I am still amazed about the differences between other Asian countries and Cambodia certainly gave me a new aspect.

Seeing kids playing right next to the busy streets would give any mother in the western world a heart attack. Watching people preparing meat on the ground, fish alive in water not higher than 1 cm and people sleeping openly in the dirt is certainly something you wouldn’t come across that easily.







I turned around and looked for something to eat, passed another market and just observed the happenings around me, trying to suck in the Cambodian life.

I passed several stalls and once I got to see one that sold insects, I knew my time has come and I shall try one. I had to close my eyes to eat those, and after the first crunch it wasn’t that bad actually. Would I do it again, not sure…..





My first day was pretty uneventful since I only researched what I can do around here when I arrived. Later on I was sitting outside the hotel and enjoying a coffee when I got to talk to a Irish couple, we later decided to check out the Nightmarket together and have some dinner.




All in all, a pretty relaxed day, however, I tried to go to bed early (which I failed) to make sure I wake up on time the next day.

Angkor WHAT?
The alarm went off at 4:30 am, half asleep I wanted to sleep for just 5 more minutes, but I did press the wrong button and went back to sleep until a knock at my door woke me up. Looking at the clock I was awake with shock, since it was 5:15 and my driver was waiting for me outside.

I planned to watch the sunrise in Angkor Wat and was curious what I would think once I get there. On arrival it was still pitch black and I could not see a thing around you. My driver stopped at the ticket counter for Angkor Wat, the park entry fee is 20 $ for one day, pretty pricy I thought. Anyway, we were on our way and I was waiting for the sun to get up and show me what this is all about.

Standing there with hundreds of other people waiting for the sun to rise was pretty boring. I think I didn’t find it as magical as other people. I admit the temple is pretty massive and knowing the history behind it makes it pretty amazing, however, the total excitement effect didn’t take place….









After I spend a few hours walking in and around the temple, I saw a little place just off the left, a Buddhism school (Angkor Wat Pagoda School for orphaned children). I was the only tourist that walked around the premises and found it pretty amazing to watch the kids sitting there and studying away.







I have no idea what it is, but I find it more intriguend to see the locals work and live instead of all the tourist attractions around me. To see what the real Cambodian life is really about and not what they want to show us. Seeing the little huts around the premises and markets for locals and the way they enjoy their day, that is what my visit is about. I hope I get to see more in the future.












We continued to Angkor Thom, which was pretty great as well, again, not as exciting as I thought it would be.









I returned to my driver and found it fascinating how all the Tuktuk driver were standing or sitting together, waiting for their passenger to return.





Next we went to the Siem Reap Killing fields, much smaller than the one in Phnom Penh, but worth a visit, out of respect I only publish the normal pictures. A sad place, I guess it will be even worse to see it in PP.







After I returned to the Guesthouse I had to catch up on some sleep, all the short nights were getting to me. But first some fruits, fresh of course :)



In the evening I only had some dinner and met again some people outside and had a chat about the world of traveling. It is great to exchange stories and getting advice from others.




I went to bed fairly early and slept in until I had to check out of the hotel. I am sure there are plenty of other things to do around Siem Reap, but the motivation wasn’t there to spend even more money on touristy things.

So I decided I pay the National Museum a visit and get to know more about the history. An interesting gallery about the Khmer Civilization, Religion and Beliefs as well as a great collection of 1.000 Buddha images and even more information about Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom. I found it great that part of the 12$ entry fee is going to local charity programs.





I walked back to the guesthouse and enjoyed some lunch and pineapple shake. Now all I can do is wait for my bus to come and pick me up. My next destination will be Sihanoukville, where I am going to enjoy some relaxed days on the beach and do absolutely nothing, ah well maybe one or two things.



I liked Siem Reap, but I am also glad I don’t spend weeks here.

Next update will follow soon and until then I hope everyone is having a great time out there :)

Happy travels!

2 comments:

  1. What lovely pics though you are clearly not a fan of temples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gail :) don't get me wrong, I love the temples and seeing them, I am glad I have done it, but I guess after hundreds of temples, they are just another one. I am more interested in the history and culture behind it :) I hope you and John are good.

    ReplyDelete