Thursday, March 12, 2015

Stonehenge and Windsor - A day trip from London

It took me around 7 years after my arrival in London to finally manage to visit Stonehenge. I have passed it on the way to Somerset and a few friends that visited London went there as well, but the opportunity arose only now that I would finally be able to join my visiting friends on a day trip to Stonehenge.

Stonehenge is a prehistoric monument located in Wiltshire, England, about 2 miles west of Amesbury and 8 miles north of Salisbury.

What makes this place so interesting is basically the fact that Stonehenge was produced by a culture that left no written records. Many aspects of Stonehenge remain subject to debate. A number of myths surround the stones. 

For a lot of people they are simply a bunch of rocks (like myself), but for others this is a place of worship, magic and mystery, which I absolutely respect, but I didn't go crazy over my visit, although I am really glad I finally did it.






The entry fee was quite pricey with around 14 Pounds per person. We pre-booked via the Website for English Heritage as per statement indicated (Entrance to Stonehenge is now managed through timed tickets and advance booking is required. Booking is the only way to guarantee entry on the day and at the time of your choice.), however once we got there, tickets could have been bought directly there, but I guess there is a certain risk without pre-booking of not being able to get in.

There is a visitor shuttle going from the entry to the actual stone circle, the price is included in the ticket if I remember correctly.


























Once we had a good walk around the stones, we decided to head over to Windsor, which was pretty much on the way back to London, for a quick walk around and late lunch.







































From Windsor we drove back to London to complete the day with a light dinner at home. And that was day of my life well spend. Happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment