Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Paris with a hint of colour

I have been to Paris a number of times, but actually never written about it. I remember the first time I went, I was 16 and I was in love. I had big dreams before the trip on how romantic and beautiful everything would be. I stayed less than 24 hours and took the bus back to Germany on the same evening. But all I remember was a horrible trip and my impression of Paris were rather on the negative end. However over the years and in such close proximity I have become acquaint with Paris and its culture. I certainly would not compare Paris to other French cities, but there are elements I am sure everyone would enjoy. Although I have to admit, while Paris is not my personal favourite, it certainly is a place not to be missed when you are in Europe. I mean, come on, this is Paris after all.



The booking was made on a short notice and after a 2 1/5 hour train trip on the Eurostar from Kings Cross in London I arrived in Pairs at the Gare du Nord Station. A lot of people keep telling me that all they hear about Paris is basically that it just smells of urine. This certainly is true when you leave the station, however most places in Paris are clean and well maintained.

I didn't make a big plan except having a birthday dinner with friends (which is the reason why I was in Paris) and walk around for a bit. Upon arrival I checked into my hostel for the night (Paris Gare Du Nord Hostel - St Christophers Inns). Paris is not cheap, the hostel alone was 25 EUR per night, which for a 6 bed dorm is for me considered expensive. It came very close to the prices of Geneva. 

Overall it was clouded and it looked like rain when I arrived. And that basically is all I should have expected, rain rain and more rain. And this is the reason why I decided I would have a black/white picture entry of Paris on my blog. As you will see, some colour has been included, otherwise it would give a way too sad impression.





For the birthday dinner I was invited to go to the Le Chalet de Iles for a pleasant and rather fancy dinner. Well, it was a special birthday, so why not splurge a little bit. Below you will see some of the food we ate and the scenery. Overall it certainly was a good place to eat, but I think I would have preferred to be here during the Summer Time and sunset. If you are in the area, why not stop by for a coffee? There is a small ferry that brings you to the little Island.




















After the delicious dinner and drinks, we decided to go for a walk and stop by the Eiffel tower for a few pictures. It was surprisingly busy given the time. And of course the touts and scammers are everywhere, you will not be able to get away from them if you are around the tourist area. Just politely decline and move on.








This is one of my favourite pictures I have taken. Without a tripod if I may mention it.
A symbol of Paris and one of the most famous landmarks in the world. Built by Gustave Eiffel in 1887-1889, the Eiffel tower was almost torn down in 1909 and only saved due to its use as a telegraphy antenna. The tower is rather on the small end with just 324 meters (including antenna).


The next day I had not planned much as I had to leave in the evening back to London, so I decided I would just walk alongside my friends and see where we end up. Honestly, this trip was not about sight seeing and activities, it was just simply visiting a friend for her birthday and enjoy my time in Paris while I am here.

I didn't even bother to remember where we have been, let alone trying to keep track on how we walked. I knew already that for this entry it would not be relevant and I just went with the flow. Maybe you recognise some of the buildings and monuments below. I'll try to add a description where I remember. 




Catching the stereotype in Paris











Having lunch at one of the side stores, reasonable priced and fresh!
























Louvre is one of the world's largest museums and a historic monument. A central landmark of Paris, it is located on the Right Bank of the Seine in the 1st arrondissement. Nearly 35,000 objects from prehistory to the 21st century are exhibited over an area of 60,600 square metres (652,300 square feet). The Louvre is the world's most visited museum, and received more than 9.7 million visitors in 2012. Don;t just go in there if you only want to see the Mona Lisa, it is simply not worth it. 
























































































It would be a shame if I were to publish the flower pictures in black and white as well, the colours were just so vibrant and I don't want you to miss out on that.












During the day, the weather changed from rain to sun and back to rain. Sometimes it was actually really enjoyable to just walk around without a plan. We stopped by the Notre-Dame Cathedral just when the sky broke open with some sunshine. Despite the rain all day long, it didn't stop the tourists to wander around, hence it was busy as usual.
West Side view


















East Side view












Beyond walking around, having coffee and enjoying each other company, there is really not much I can report on from this short trip.

















That's all I wanted to share today. Happy travels!


No comments:

Post a Comment