Saturday, November 16, 2013

Plovdiv – A day trip in Bulgaria

It was a sunny Sunday with mild temperatures when I woke up in my cosy hotel bed. Today I decided to visit Plovdiv, the oldest continually inhabited city in Europe. I have checked the day before the transportation links and bus time table. From wiki travel I knew approximately what to expect and what I wanted to see around the area.

The trip from my hotel to the Central Main station in Sofia was only 15 minutes with two train stops, I am just glad that the city is not crowded and that there is plenty of space on the train. Comparing it to London, this feels almost like a country side. 

The bus would take around 2 ½ hours and 14 Leva one way. The staff at the station spoke basic English so I was able to find the correct bus stop and getting my ticket.





On the bus journey, I did what I usually do, listening to music and let the scenery pass me with a lot of day dreams involved.

The main reason for my visit was the Old Plovdiv town with its little alleys and hidden treasures. I am glad that the town is not yet exploited by tourism and most buildings were still in its original form, however the transformation has started already and you will be able to witness a fair few amounts of changes compared to pictures taken a few years ago. Before heading to the Old town I took a walk through the city centre and checked out a few shops. Surprisingly there were a lot of free wifi spots are around.



The Djumaya Mosque is considered the oldest European mosque outside Moorish Spain





The autumn starts to show


I really enjoyed the scenery with the sun tagging along. As Plovdiv was fairly quiet and tourist free I had the chance to just walk around freely and enjoy my time without being pushed around.







Old Town











I got myself some ice cream on the way back as a little treat. Overall I found it a perfect day trip on which I was able to indulge into myself. For the obvious eye nothing adventures had happened, but for the one that look inside, you will discover the great world we live in.


Happy travels everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment