Sunday, October 13, 2013

Spinning again in the time machine – Bulgaria (Rila Monastry)

It took me a total of 20 minutes to find a start on this entry and even now I am not sure what I can tell you about this small trip, but I will try my best to give you the details of my experience.

Work had send me over to Bulgaria again and I pokered a bit to stay the weekend and get my return flight booked on Monday. Luckily it seems my previous work performance paid off and my boss agreed to it. So it happened that I had two full days to spend in Bulgaria.
I won’t give you this time the details of the actual trip over since I have done so already in my previous entry and nothing much has changed since.





So let’s go straight to the weekend, to be more specific Saturday. I had spent a bit of time online before I left to research for things to do outside Sofia. Besides having a few things I wanted to do from the first time, I knew it wouldn’t have been enough for two days. I came across a good amount of offers. Surprisingly most tours on offer are based on a per car price and not a per person tour. Means if you book a tour with 4 people it would have been the same as for 1. Certainly not the best as single traveller, but then again, the cheapest option in most cases is the public transport.

I have also found the following website: http://freesofiatour.com/blog/how-to-get-to-rila-monastery
  
On this website http://www.traventuria.bg/ I have found a shuttle that brings you to the Boyana Church as well as the Rila Monastery for 25€, which is certainly the better offer I have found. There are some hostels in Sofia that offer the shuttle for a bit less, around 20€, but not sure if the Church is included.



















In between we had as well some lunch, this time a bit of fish











As usual I have not read up on the areas and attractions I was about to visit, most information are available locally. Hence when we arrived at the Boyana Church, the entry price of 10 Leva surprised me a bit. Basically just to see a Heritage that was from an interest point of view not on a high scale for me. Instead I was just walking around it, read the information available around and waited for the few that did go inside to finish.





This was pretty much my Saturday. Nice and relaxed while viewing a country I yet have to see more of. For unknown reasons I am intrigued by Bulgaria, it has so many aspects and facettes that are not seen on one quick visit.


In between I did take a few snapshots as well from Sofia while I walked around









No comments:

Post a Comment