Monday, May 13, 2013

Un petit coucou de Genève

Just came into a lovely warm house and was happy to flee the coldness from outside. Back home in the UK. It is sometimes nice to come back to a base where you are familiar with everything. But that’s a different story, let me tell you something about Geneva, a place I spend the last two days.


I initially booked the flight to Switzerland, Geneva on a wimp because it was pretty cheap with £80 and since I had never been in that region before I looked forward to another weekend away.

As always I headed straight from work to the Airport, all now very much a routine. As most of you will know by now Gatwick Airport is personal favorite  simply because it is the most easiest to reach from home as well as work, a very short commute.




The planning was done as well very quickly via websites online, I had a small map and approximate ideas of what options I have locally. Originally I had planned not to use couchsurfing for activities this time, rather just explore the city on my own pace. But read for yourself.


I arrived at the Geneva Airport, picked up a free bus ticket from a Vending machine just by exit of the arrival halls, which brought me for free a train (train station is directly located under the airport) to the City Centre of Geneva. From there I followed the instructions to my hostel and get rid of my backpack. I got a tiny bit lost since the Trainstation got an overhaul and the main exit was not so easy to find.





I found my way and checked into (in my opinion) a rather expensive hostel. When I originally checked for room prices before I booked the flight, it would have been around £22 per night, however when I actually wanted to book a room, there were no longer dormitories available. This meant that I had to book a single room. In comparison to actual Hotels still the cheaper option. I stayed at the Geneva Youth Hostel for two nights and it offers what a hostel offers, simple basics.





For the evening I walked around the Moynier Park.  I also was in the search of an affordable food place, certainly the Perle-du-Lac located right at the Lake Geneva was out of my Budget. Overall this place blew a bit of a hole in my pockets since the prices are ridiculous.









A DJ putting on some records and the crowds enjoying, drinks, food and laughter



Jet d'Eau, the Rade (visible from most of the Lac Léman waterfront).








Monument Brunswick


I ended up not having anything to eat since most places were just not for single travellers and I didn’t feel like a sandwich from the super market. So a few hours later I returned for my first night of a good sleep in a comfortable bed. Before I drifted into a dream filled sleep I ended up posting a message on CS asking if members wanted to join to explore the city and surroundings on Saturday.

Verun therefore joined me in the morning the next day to start a day full of walking. After a quick breakfast I went to the main train station to meet him. He had to move hostels that day so we started first to go to his hostel next to the Saint Pierre Cathedral. From there we moved around the city by instincts, had a couple of coffees and snacks along the way and finally ended the day with a light diner. One of his roommates joined us a bit later for a quick walk around. He was from Canada so we all three talked about travels and exchanged knowledge about countries and experience.


A bird trying to eat my breakfast

On the yellow TPG boat that brings you across the river on your travel pass



Cathédrale St-Pierre





Opera



University of Geneva




Russian Church of Geneva




Floral Clock



On the way to Carouge











In front of the Palais des Nations


Palais des Nations




Relaxing front of the Lake and enjoying the last bits of sunshine for the day

Plaine de Plainpalais






For the next day we had decided earlier in the evening to stop by Lausanne and Montreux. On my way back to the hostel I stopped at the station and checked for prices, with CHF58 it was a bit over what I would have been willing to spend so instead I decided I would do the Telepherique due Saleve, just beyond the French Border (yay let’s quickly say Bonjour to France).

The next morning we met at the Main train station to catch the Bus Number 8. In the wiki travel all stations are described in detail for this attraction. The only comment I would make on here is that if you do stay in a hostel, you will get a free travel pass for the use of the public transport; this does include the Number 8 until the end stop, the one just before the boarder to France. From there you simple walk to the Cable Cars and if unlucky need to show your passport. I didn’t get checked so can’t say much if they do stand there.













Restaurant at the Cable Car station, booking is recommended




We had a nice walk around the area and I wished I had my hiking shoes with me; my boots didn’t do this forest justice. After a few hours I returned to the city and stopped by a few places that I missed the previous day. Then I went for late lunch and headed back the Airport.

At the border back to Switzerland from France

A streak of blue sky







A really nice and relaxing trip with a lot of room for thoughts, which made this weekend even a better one. I returned back to London and look now forward to my next holidays, traveling for 2 weeks and getting a proper break.



Read you soon again and Happy Travels :)







No comments:

Post a Comment