Saturday, March 23, 2013

A reflective weekend in Amsterdam

Time has come and I've done another short trip across the channel to the Netherlands, this time to the city called Amsterdam. Usually when doing a bit of research for trips I check online on wiki travel, it has all the basics I need. All remaining information I gather from friends like places to go and food to try. I pretty much gave up on lonely planet, it looked more and more like a waste of money as I was barely using it on trips. Surely it is handy, but in today’s time pointless as all the information are available online and with Wifi around everywhere it is as well accessible at any time. Here I don't even care about having a map. If I do need one, they are usually available in the hostels or tourist information centre. But who knows, maybe one day I get all nervous again without a map.





The flight was less than one hour to Schiphol from Gatwick Airport and with the train from there I arrived at the Amsterdam Central Station 15 minutes later. The train ticket itself cost only 3.90 €, however if you buy the ticket with a credit card or at the counter it will cost 4.40 € one way. Your foreign debit card will only work as a credit card. The airport made on arrival a great impression with short ways and plenty of shopping and food option and even better, plenty of seating space.

From the Central station I walked to my Hostel, the Tourist Inn Hotel, located right in the middle of Amsterdam. The cost for one night accommodation was 30€ per night plus city tax and not cheap, however I really couldn’t be bothered this time to go through Profiles on Couchsurfing to see if anyone would be compatible and I also didn’t want to stay in a 20 bed dormitory, which would have been available for just 15 € a night near central. The accommodation within the Museum quarter are the cheapest but as well the furthest away from the actual centre, however if you are planning to visit all attractions it wouldn't matter. Sometimes it just has to be a bit different.

Once I arrived at this fairly clean and adequate hotel, I freshened up, checked that I have everything I needed and headed out for a wander around the night.
 
I met with Maly, a girl from Paris and we walked along the red light district and other areas. It was nice just to walk alongside the canals and talk and reflect a bit. The change of scenery is really something that can lift my mood enormously. We decided to stop for a drink in one of the bars, Vivelavie,  and sat down to enjoy a talk and watching people. After a while we came to the realisation that we accidently ended up in a Lesbian bar, which was fun for a while, but we decided to call it a night and went back to our accommodation. Maly would have been up for clubbing, me on the other end was longing for my bed. Am I really getting old?

Royal Palace




Shopping Street by night


On my way back to the hostel I realised I had made one of the biggest mistake in ages when traveling. The day before I had bought new shoes since my old ones where falling apart and when it is raining I got wet feet. The new shoes were by all means not walked in yet and I got huge blisters by the end of the day and was feeling the sharp pain and started twisting my toes. After taking off my shoes I was questioning how on earth I am going to survive two days of walking? Any other normal person would have gone out the next day and buy new shoes that are comfy enough, but not me. I braved up and decided that they need to get walked in anyway and that I can stand the pain. This certainly took away some joy on this trip but I managed! Out of courtesy and not knowing what you might eat right now, I didn't take any pictures of the blisters. You are welcome.

After a good night sleep I got up and ready, while being as quiet as possible as all other people in the room are passed out and I didn't want to wake them.

I started roaming the city, without a map, just walking the streets and deciding on the way to go on instinct. It is like walking through my life, with no plan where to go, weather I will end up going left, right or simply straight ahead. I have no fixed plan nor map to follow, it makes things much easier but sometimes more complex since you have to walk in circles or go the extra mile to reach your destination. But sometimes you get there quicker by coincidence.

I started the tour with a light and traditional breakfast. Very similar to what I am used to from Germany.

Traditional Bakery



From there I went to the following places during Saturday presented by the below pictures. I won’t tell you how I got there, simply because I can’t remember. Surely I have missed a few spots to see in the city, but I got a taste and certainly an excuse to come back again.

Royal Palace by daylight

Madame Tussaud House

National Monument




National Monument

Royal Palace and the Nieuwe Kerk

Old Amsterdamer Cheese with Pesto, Cream and Tomato. Great taste!




The entry to this museum is 9 € and only worth it if you are actually interested in the history and laws of Marijuana

Red Light District by day. You can find open windows here and there, usually they are all buys during the night time





Bikes, Bikes and more Bikes. These are definitely the majority in this country

 Bredero Monument

Biologische Boerenmarkt Amsterdam Nieuwmarkt

Fresh Mushrooms in all kind of colors. 

Next to the Market was this yellow stone couch, interesting concept. Something similar appears in Melbourne as well





Chandelier in a boat house, very posh

 Not many streets in Amsterdam are green during the winter time, but this one managed quiet well









Skinny Bridge





Market Amsterdam Waterlooplein


In a city with a lot of bikes you need a lot of locks

I wonder if these give me blisters as well?

 Mozes Aaron Church




Ornate Bridge





Rembrandt monument on Rembrandtplein





The local flower market, it must look even more beautiful during spring time


Wooden Tulips


A little break from all the walking inbetween and writing the obligatory post cards to my friends. I went to the Old Dutch Pancake house near the flower market. I can certainly recommend it.





Jordaan Square





Stag do - very popular in Amsterdam



Flower Market from the back

Scooters is the next favorite way of transportation

Krijtberg Church









This is not an optical illusion, this house is in fact quiet curvy



The day was finished with a light dinner, walk around the canals and early bed time. The next morning I was again the first in the room to get up and out. I left my luggage at the hotel and set once again out to explore this little city by foot.



Amsterdam Central Station

The Church of St Nicholas 






The Concertgebouw concert hall has some of the finest acoustics in the world


Nemo Sience center and Oosterdok at Prins Hendrikkade


The Loodsen and ware house buildings by the water front






Het Scheepvaartmuseum (The National Maritime Museum). Amsterdam has a lot to tell about its maritime history and all of its maritime memories can be found in the Het Scheepvaartmuseum, which is just within walking distance from Amsterdam Central Station.









The De Gooyer Windmill was constructed in 1725 and moved to its current location in 1814; it is one of 8 windmills inside Amsterdam.


Goose on a round about






Zuiderkerk Church

Street artists leaving their marks in Amsterdam









Pancake with mushrooms and cheese

The Toilets are very fancy in Amsterdam

Zuiderkerk, church in Amsterdam



I did visit during the day as well a coffeeshop, just sitting there and watching people. It seems to me that in Holland the staff is talking to each other during the work time like they are out somewhere with friends, paying little attention to the customers, but still friendly and the people are used to it. It is normality here. While I was sitting there I got to see how the deal works. The 'dealer' aka salesman just comes in, takes the order and leaves. As if they just ordered new drinks not drugs. Coming from a country where it is illegal, this really looked surreal.

I got to see as well people doing some random jobs such as taxi-bike riders or free tourist guides, living of this job entirely. It must be worthwhile since there are plenty of them around. There are similar offers in London where people just pay a tip at the end of the guided tour.

Saturday evening there was a CS event planned and originally I wanted to join and see how it goes. While walking into that direction I felt the need of being alone and staying away from small talks. So I decided to go left instead of going straight towards the pub where we would have met. Walked alongside the canals and think randomly.

I want to visit Amsterdam again, but next time with better walking shoes and when it is sunny with blue skies to enjoy the outside more, maybe with a rental bike. I am actually going to look at tickets soon, so if anyone wants to join feel free to message me :)

Hopefully read you soon with some more stories.

Happy Travels!

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the link to your travel blog. I enjoyed the piece on Amsterdam since I was there for about 4 hours inbetween connecting flights on my latest Africa trip. I only got a chance to explore the area around Central Station during the morning and didn't get a chance to try out any food or drink, but plan to visit Anne Frank's house if possible when I'm next there. I'd heard about the alcoholic bars on wheels where the patrons pedal to provide the locomotion for the bar, but hadn't actually seen one until I viewed your photos--at least that is what I think the photo is showing. The play of light across the water in your nightime pictures of the canals is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, this is indeed a bar on wheels. These can be found in quite a few cities around Europe, especially in Germany these are popular.

      I hope you had a great trip :)

      Delete
  2. I would like to participate in the race in Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete