Saturday, January 12, 2013

Traveling alone

A lot of people tell me I am brave because I travel alone to different countries. Am I the only one that doesn't think so? I don’t think it is brave, I think these days it is normal as a lot of people travel alone and explore the country on their own. Of course there are countries I wouldn’t want travel alone to. It would be naive to think the world is one happy place. But I don’t think there is anything wrong with traveling alone in well developed countries or countries that are known to be safe.


Others tell me that they couldn’t travel alone because they would feel lonely and they need company and share the experience. I partly agree, that it is certainly not easy to travel long term on your own, but for a couple of weeks it is refreshing and can be a challenge to yourself. You will open your mind and you are required to talk to people if you need help, you have no one around you that you could rely on, you will get to know your own strength and your limits.


However when it comes to sharing the experience, I have to admit that it sometimes makes me sad that there is no one next to me I could give a knowing look, smile or comment. The beauty of this world is best experienced with someone that knows you best and knows what will be good for you.

I found it fairly difficult to find someone I can travel with and get along well with all the time. When it comes to traveling I am a fair bit selfish. I simply don’t want to be blamed if I took the wrong way, walk to slow or fast or ended up in a difficult situation. When I am on my own I am sole responsible for myself and for no one else. I can decide to change my plan, I can get angry at myself for being once again stupid or making the wrong decision. I decide how much I want or don’t want to spend, I can do or not do something, it is totally up to me. I am not saying that for the right person there is no place for a compromise. If my travel partner is on the same wave, getting along is easy and makes a trip fun, but not many could go on a trip without a certain standard.

Traveling on your own can be adventurous in one way, depending what you are into and what people could talk you into. Also meeting random strangers along the way could lead to long lasting friendship. Meeting locals because you have to could lead to great evenings out and they know all about the area, better than a travel partner would. You get to know things you would otherwise never see nor experience.

Others call me crazy because I do couch surfing and that they would be scared to stay at a strangers home, but I guess every good friend once was a stranger and only you will decide if someone becomes a friend or not, not they will decide for you (except in the case that they don't like you, this is a two way street)

When it comes to travels, the next thing on my mind is food. I know a fair amount of people that are picky about food and don’t try certain things nor would they ever eat from street vendors. I couldn’t do that, I WANT to try different food, things I don’t even know the name of let alone knowing what it actually is. Of course I try to find out, but if the people around me don’t speak English or German, then it was just a ‘When I once ate this sticky quichy stuff that tasted like…’ situation.

I totally respect people that can’t or don’t want to travel alone, but I am hoping for the same. That people trust my common sense and that I am mature enough to travel on my own without getting into dangerous or life threatening situations. Everything is a life experience and I want to get as much as possible while I can.

With this said, I wish everyone happy travels, whichever road you are taking. 

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind travelling alone either but I personally think it will all be up to how you view your travelling and turning it into something exciting for yourself. the mindset can really change how u see everyday life so it should highly likely be able to turn self-travel into something amazing. If you are looking for some funny stories, you can try look for them and use your imagination and I find it very amusing collecting funny stories LOL. What are your thoughts on Natalie's topic,people?? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo for stick up for your beliefs. It's totally fine to travel alone. Actually it's probably better to do that given how picky you are. No use hating on people for doing what they want, right? Mm, I definitely agree with you about the food. Take care and enjoy wherever life leads you!

    ReplyDelete