Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Time to move on again (Brisbane)

I have spent the last two months in Brisbane and met a lot of really nice people. I wish I could stay a little bit longer and enjoy more of the area. But as all of you know it doesn’t always go as planned. The cost of living is definitely the highest so far. With the money I earn I just about cover my expenses and there is no space for savings. I really enjoyed my time here but I made the decision to move on to farm work for the next two months, which means I am flying back to Sydney and from there a 2 hour drive to the farm I am going to work on.

Let me recapture the past few weeks with a few comments. Most of the time here I was alone for several reasons:

1. The people I met in the hostel move on in general very quickly because it is a very quiet time for job offers.

2. I never really connected with my co-workers (for unknown reasons).

3. I am a loner.

I realised again that you can enjoy several activities alone, such as having an absolute fabulous breakfast. In this case for just 10 $ including the large coffee. The little bar/restaurant/cafĂ© in Brunswick Street – New Farm called Alibi offered excellent service and the food was fresh





On my way back to the accommodation I suddenly heard little bells ringing. Looking above me I saw this brilliant design in front of a Himalayan restaurant.


The weather was great as usual and I took a walk around the New Farm Park and Market again, observing the locals. They absolutely love their barbis (BBQ), playing around and having ice cream. At that moment I realised that it is harder in Brisbane to connect to people than in any other place I had been to this day. Not sure why, maybe they just don’t understand travellers or don’t want to or I simply can't adjust here?











And before I forget, a quick pictures of my thumb which I cut on the slicing machine at work on one of the most horrible days during this trip (some of you might remember me ranting on a social network site).


Last weekend was a great one. I had a lot of fun and met up with a few people in Brisbane. Friday I went to the botanical garden and afterwards to a Japanese restaurant. First time I forgot my camera… The restaurant was really nice and worth a visit:
http://www.sonorestaurant.com.au/


On Saturday I first cleaned the bathroom and kitchen as I was able to make an arrangement with the hostel manager. They reduce my rent and I clean a bit on the weekends. At least some savings are possible.
 
After that I went to a Thai restaurant in the Westend (Siam Samrarn). The main course was not as amazing as expected, pretty plain in flavours, but the coconut rice was amazing. This was followed by a visit to the Southbank cinema, watching ‘Bad Teacher’. The movie itself isn’t bad and has some really good jokes, but overall I only would give it 3 out of 5, a one-time movie.

Sunday started again with cleaning, but this time I was excited as I planned to visit the Sexpo, which was held in the Brisbane convention centre at Southbank. The admission fee was a bit pricy, but sometimes you just have to do it. So I took the train and arrived after just 30 minutes. Got my ticket and started to look around. A friend joined me later and we watched a few shows together. Overall I was a bit disappointed, the Sexpo came across very trashy and nothing new was presented. A lot of rubbish gone over the tables for a lot of money.







Some videos of the shows:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcBdtrXQnPI
The Sex train was a joke as well as the Sex Maze Labyrinth. But I learned that guys are good at pole dancing as well.




This was followed by a visit to a Vietnamese restaurant, I had been here before and it was amazing again (Hargrove West End).

All in all I have a good life and enjoy being on the road. Now I can’t wait to pack my backpack again and head off to the airport. I am sure I will see a few people again before leaving just to say good bye.

Thank you everyone that made my time here so amazing and a very special Thank you goes to my hosts when I arrived. I hope I can return the favours I received one day.

I will update you again when I leave Brisbane in two weeks and hope you enjoy your life. Miss all of my friends and family, I know that some of you are going through some very exciting times as well and I wish I could be there to celebrate with you in person. I am sure we will do that when I return.

Have a good day mate and happy travels :)

No comments:

Post a Comment