Thursday, July 31, 2014

Puerto Princessa - A piece of paradise (Philippines)

After the great and pleasant experience in Manila my trip continued on my own, Eye didn't join me on this leg of the trip. I still can't believe it, that such people like him exist in this world and are totally under-appreciated by a lot of others. If I can think one day of a way to return the favours, I certainly will do that.
 
My next stop was Puerto Princesa on the Palawan Island, just a short flight from Manila and I arrived in Paradise, well close to it. The airport is tiny and has only one entry and one exit. Within the halls you can overlook everything in the Terminal, don't expect much entertainment or choice of food. On my departure day I got to experience the small café n the corner of the departure hall and can confirm they have decent coffee (what else would you need?).


 
  
When I booked my hotel I believed that I booked a pick up from the airport as well, but it seems that I misunderstood that part as no one was waiting for me with a little sign. A bit worried I went next door to the Tourist Office and asked if I could use their phone to call the accommodation. The call came for free with a great smile. After I clarified the situation (which was totally my fault) I left the Aiport area and checked outside for a ride. Knowing that they would try to rip me off I asked the host from my accommodation in advance what I should be paying. And just as I anticipated I was asked triple the price although it was easy enough to bring the driver down to the normal price without him getting unfriendly, again, that's a first I experienced in Asia.

  
  
I arrived after just 10 minutes at my booked accommodation for the next 3 days. It certainly is a small town.

It doesn't happen often that I recommend a hotel/hostel in my blog, but when I do be ensured that it was indeed a very pleasant stay for me. The host was just lovely and took care of everything I needed. She even booked for me the trip for the next day with a bit of a discount. During the night the dogs outside were a bit annoying, but I loved the fact that I stayed away from the bustling main street and could enjoy some great and lovely time on their terrace. I didn't try their breakfast (not a morning person), but the coffee was lovely. I tell you, it is all about the coffee!
 
As usual I left my belongings in the room and started to stroll around the 'city' and bay area while the sun were settling for a night of sleep (at least on this side of the world). Surprisingly the sunset doesn't happen on the site of the bay, but on the opposite end of the town. This part of the town could be called the 'slums'. Hats and ships housing people of various ages, kids playing in the street and dogs straying around. As I am used to the looks I get in those parts of towns I was not surprised to get the same reaction here. Although it was more on the friendly site, with shy smiles and a Hello in a non slimey way. Such a fresh experience.
 
 
 
 
 














 
 
The real action of course happens on the Bay, where there are entertainment options, food stalls and plenty of people from locals to foreigners. It came to a surprise to me since I don't really read up on a lot of local events in advance, I got the opportunity to attend the Puerto Princesa City's 142nd Founding Anniversary, well partly. The preparation for the festival took place on the day of my arrival with a big kick-off at 8 pm. While I was sitting there and eating my lovely street food I was observing the locals who jumped up once the national hymn started. Such a loyal folk, you wouldn't see that happening in Germany. Unfortunately I missed the actual parade the next day since I went out to hunt for my next 'Happy Place'.












The next morning started early as we had a long drive ahead of us. I got the tip to visit the Underground River, as you might expect, from Eye, who himself had visited the same area as well as the Microtel, which you can see in the below pictures:

http://eye-in-the-blue-sky.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/palawan-underground-river-backroads.html

http://eye-in-the-blue-sky.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/palawans-underground-river-boating.html

Eye has published an exceptional amount of information and I will just say that what he has written in 2009 is pretty much still up to date, although the prices went up by a bit. I paid overall for the day which included the Island Hopping a 1500 pesos, which was around 200 Pesos cheaper then booking it directly with the agency, again, thanks to the host in my accommodation.


 The view from the Microtel Terrace. If you are lucky enough and booked yourself into this hotel, be aware that you are in for a treat.





 

We finally arrived in Sabang from where we would take a boat to the Underground River. I have to add that in comparison with Eye I was indeed lucky that it was pure sunshine. Again, and I can't really say it enough, check out his blog and you will be impressed by the details as well as the variety of experience. Next to him, I wouldn't want to call myself a traveller.



















The local food house where I got my buffet food (was included in the tour price) offered Tamilok, a local speciality. This is basically a worm that lived in a Mango tree (generally this is not the case) and taste like Oyster. Surprisingly only me and another guy were brave enough to try this. If you get a chance, don't get scared, it is really lovely!






After the wonderful river tour we were on our way to the Islands Cowrie, Starfish and Luli Islands which are laying in the Honda Bay. That was the piece of paradise I was looking for and I didn't get disappointed.


 
 

Titanic anyone?









 
The purple/pink coloured eggs are a sign for being boiled and salted, extremely salted. Although overall the lunch was lovely, the salt was just too  much for me. I think the grilled chicken and fish made up for it.












 

 
 
 
I FOUND ONE! There were actually quiet a lot of starfish, but you had to get the snorkelling gear up for that, which I didn't for some more private reason so I only strolled around on the beach.
 
 
 
 
 



 
All in all the trip to Palawan was amazing and it would have been so lovely to see more of this Island, but I guess for that I will have to come back another time.

And because I wanted to try something new for a change I created a simple video of the experience:


With this and relaxing on the terrace I wish everyone HAPPY TRAVELS!

No comments:

Post a Comment