Monday, May 7, 2012

On the way to normality (temporarily)

It has been a while (AGAIN) since my last post and I promised I will keep posting in this blog about my travels, but due to financial restriction I had to limit my interest in trips to zero for now. However I would like to share with you my experience on getting back to normality, even though I hope it will only be temporarily.

Upon my return I still haven’t had decided where to stay and look for a job again. My initial thought was to stay in Germany for a while again and see how things are going to be. I spend a few weeks in London to catch with friends and family first.















Then I headed over to Germany to see parts of my family and friends. We took the ferry from Dover over to Calais - France (http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/) and drove the remaining way to Hessen. I spend lovely days with my family there and wish I could have stayed a bit longer to see some of my friends there too, but I know I will return.




















From there I took a shared ride (http://www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de/) back to Hamburg, my hometown. After seeing my family and friends I started to look at my options.



















After the first visit to the local job centre (http://www.arbeitsagentur.de/) I knew already that this procedure here in Germany is way too inflexible for me and I didn’t feel like going down that route. So the decision to return to London was quickly made and the flight booked (www.easyjet.com).

I sorted a few bank queries in Germany and did more research on my options for the future, because you never know….




I arrived back in London and because I am lucky and my sister is the best one in the world I was able to stay at her place for a while until I get myself sorted. I guess not everyone is that lucky to have family and friends that can take you in for the time being. For those that are in that situation, there are short term letting options and of course hostels, if you need more information on those, send me a message, I am more than happy to help you out.

The start was quickly made with updateing my CV and uploading it onto the following pages:
And a few more job specific sites.

Updating my LinkedIn Profile (www.linkedin.com) and getting in touch with my network. I have added the following information to my CV about my travels, in case you are wondering what to put into your CV about the time you have been away:
  •        Traveling and working in Australia, New Zealand and Asia
  •        Learned how to adapt to unanticipated situations and improvise new plans due to unexpected events
  •        Developed budgeting and planning skills by financing, planning and organizing my year
  •        Cultivated language and communication skills through contact with people from around the world.
  • Learned to use non verbal and verbal communication to overcome communication and language barriers.

You could also keep it short and simple and just add Work and Travel and no further information, both are acceptable for agencies (from what I have been told).
So the usual job hunting process started with interviews and job agency registration. Looking for jobs can be difficult and stressful at times, especially when you are under pressure to earn money upon your return. I would recommend to work part time in various temp jobs, to both earn money and still be flexible to go to interviews for the positions you are actually interested in.

After I found a position and the interview was successful, the contract on its way, I started with the flat hunt (still in progress).
I still had some spare time until I have my first working day and what a shame, I could not use it for trips outside the UK, so I did the most of visiting local attractions, meeting friends and get back into a kind of normal lifestyle again.










 I will admit, it is not very easy for me to leave all the adventures and touring around behind me and I rather would jump on the next plane again instead of looking forward to work again day in and out. The feelings varied from depressed, to anxious, scared, excited, happy, and sad over to normality. I am still thinking of the travels and look forward to my first pay check when I can book at least some short term trips again.




























This is my way of describing how coming back was for me and how much I would love to do the same next year again (depending on finances of course). Everyone that is in a similar position, I wish you all the best and may our path cross one day in this world.

Read you soon again with a little trip to Bulgaria ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment